Prop pitcheck question.

Jkangas1234

Cadet
I have a 1993 aires 200xlt bass boat with a 200hp mariner 19.5 ft long. Currently it has a 14.25 x 24 3-blade prop. Not sure of the speed , but seems to trim out at 4300. It has a horrid hole shot. It takes forever to get it to plane. Once it does its like a bullet. ThinkING of a 4 blade and different pitch. Any suggestions? I could care less about speed. But I want good handleing, and it up on plane super fast. Probley alum.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Before you start spending money on props like a sailor in a house of ill repute, do some basic trouble shooting, Compression test, spark to all cylinders, carb(s) float set correctly, proper ignition timing and sync to carb,
Your rpm numbers line up with a dead cylinder as does the complaint about slow acceleration

Last edited:

Jkangas1234

Cadet
Ya did all that already. As far I can tell it's good. Comp 115-120 all cylinders, cleaned carbs. New recifier, and stator, timed per the manual, 7/16" blue spark on all clyinders, new plugs. Carbs snyzed. It idles a bit rough. People seem to think it's normal. The boats new to me. I've been working on it like crazy the past few weeks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your 1200 RPM down on power. that would mean you need to drop to about a 19P prop.....or find out why your motor isnt putting out full power.