Chris Craft Lancer is getting a VP duo prop

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, We have a 23 foot 1977 Chris Craft Lancer Overnighter which is going to get a Volvo Penta 290 duo prop leg and we have no idea what to get for props. The boat runs a chev 350, approx 250+hp. Thru research on the net, a Lancer weighs about 4000lbs, my guess this one weighs a little more, maybe 4500 to 5000lbs. The Overnighter has a little more interior than base models. It currently runs a single prop aq280, so we're starting from scratch on duo prop selections. Any advice on where to start would be great. Thanks, Ken

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
B5's. If you were running vortec heads and other upgrades, then B6's

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the responses. We've finally installed the 290 lower on to the drive, and are going to test it with the original ruff b7's to see where they run today. I done a bunch of research on sizing and agree with your recommendations. We are looking at b5's or 6's. We have parts on the shelf to build more power if needed. Thru my research, Ive run across some other choices. Volvo offers an updated "J" series prop, which has a 3 Blade front prop and a 4 blade rear with a solid hub design. Has anybody swapped out their B's for J's. Or even just tried the J's out? Also, is anybody familiar with Power Tech props? Thanks for the help. Ken

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So we were able to try out the 290dp(1.95:1) over the weekend. The props that came with the lower unit are in pretty bad shape. The front prop is a slightly bent and chunked up B8, and the rear is a B7 that is nicked up but appears to be fairly straight. We were able to hit 39/40MPH at WOT 4000rpms. Any other recommendations? Does anybody know approximately what the differences in rpms might be between each size set? Thanks, Ken

Maclin

Admiral
A B5 set is about a 20-21p. B6 is more like a 21p or more, B7 is 23.

If your engine is running fine, then You are in B5 territory in my opinion.