1992 Ebbtide Campione 204 Prop

beezer311

Recruit
I have a 1992 Ebbtide Campione 204 5.7L Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 and I'm looking for a 21 stainless steel prop. Would a Quicksilver 48-11070A40 21" pitch prop fit?

Thank you for the help!

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
In theory it should fit. That’s an old school prop with a press in rubber hub. If I had just acquired a used rubber hub prop, I would have a new hub installed regardless of the seller insisted it was just done. People get confused and sometimes say 6 weeks when they meant to say 6 years.

Some of the digging ive done says that prop was in production during the days of the TRS drive (so 30-35 years). My question for you is how much will it cost to acquire this prop. It predates the mercury mirage. I generally don’t like to call props obsolete, but from a price perspective, it could very well be. If you can buy it and have a new hub installed for under $100, it may be worthwhile. If not, move on.

beezer311

Recruit
The prop is $175, so I'll most likely be moving on. Can you suggest a quality stainless steel prop for me that won't break the bank?

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Quality stainless that won’t break the bank? For quality go with mercury or quicksilver(also made by mercury.)

To not break the bank, lean towards Quicksilver. There’s only one problem with this plan. Quicksilver branded props are in short supply in the immediate future. They’re made in the same facilities as mercury props, and demand is very high right now. Some of us here argue about equivalencies between mercury and quicksilver props. I’m of the opinion that any differences are probably a bit trivial and likely unnoticeable on recreational sterndrives.

There’s 3 I’d recommend.
1. Mercury Enertia/Quicksilver Q3. Both will break the bank since they’re next to impossible to find used.
2. Mercury Mirage plus/Quicksilver thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt is reasonably priced new.
3. Mercury Laser2/Quicksilver lightspeed. I’ve got a 23P lightspeed. Only catch with it is that the lightspeed May have the older square pvs vents for which no plugs are available. Mine has the square holes. I filled them with JB weld.

The laser2 and mirage plus have both been around for a long time. Depending on where you live, you can find them used on Craigslist or letgo. Just make sure they have PVS vents. The other issue is condition. If you can find either one in perfect condition $200-$250 is reasonable. If they’re banged up and you’ve got a local prop repair shop, don’t pay more than $50-$100 because you may spend an additional $100-$150 getting it repaired and new hub kit. Much past $250, and it starts to make sense to buy new.

ill send a pm.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
A few more questions. What’s your performance goal? What are you using now, and what kind of performance are you seeing? (Speed and max rpm.)