Prop pitch recommendation!

billypenton

Recruit
Not sure what prop pitch to order? I have a 200 HP Mercury I just bought without a prop and I'm putting it on a 1996 19 ft Sketter bass boat. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Being honest, the likely response you will get is asking for current rpm, gps speed and propeller pitch currently...but if it helps and you have no data to go on currently...I would hazard a guess at a 23” to start with.
Mom perhaps comparing it to my old U.K. built racing boat...a Ring 18 with a 98’ Merc 200 on her. She would even turn a 25”...but happiest with a 23”. Both laser 2 props.
The only thing is that I know these bass boats are exceptional in performance and easily run close to 70gps with moderate HP like a 200. But usually rely on jack plates to do this.
Anyway...I’m going on too much. Good start would be a 23”, all else being healthy etc etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Go the Skeeter and/or Mercury web sites and look for boat/engine performance tests. Yamaha has the best and most comprehensive test data but others are doing well also. Find your boat or one similar, find your engine and read the test reports. They normally indicate what the test prop was.