Prop Suggestions for 1996 Larson 194 SEI

BrodyO

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I've got a 1996 Larson 194 SEI with a Volvo penta cobra and a 5.7 engine. Runs great but with the current set up it'll only do 42-44mph wot at 4200 rpm and doesn't have much get up and go for pulling up the wakeboard. The prop on it now is a 3 blade, 14.5" diameter and 19 pitch. I'd like some advice on a better prop for getting up to plane and hopefully increasing or at least maintaining the current top speed but I am fairly unfamiliar with picking out a prop so I'm not sure if I can do both. Anyways, suggestions would appreciated!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
First of all you need to know if the motor is up to snuff. Compression test? Does the spark jump a 5/16"- 7/16" gap on all cylinders? Timing and fuel system good?
A boat that size with a 5.7 should be upwards of 50+mph. What does the boat weigh? Has water saturated the Flotation Foam? Water weighs about 8.34 lb per US gallon.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It takes a lot of "propeller" to make up for a poorly performing engine and your ear is not a good indicator of engine performance. Do a good check on engine condition before blowing money on props.

BrodyO

Seaman Apprentice
I pulled the plugs and put new ones in last week and none of the plugs showed signs of a misfire or anything but tomorrow I'll check the ignition system strength as well as confirm the timing. I'll do a compression test while I'm at it too and report back.