Prop mystery

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My main prop that I use is a Turning point 4 blade 19" . When I punch it out of the hole it hits 3000 rpm and climbs. Will top out at 4900 rpm and 47mph on gps. Today I tried a Volvo 3 blade 21" out of the hole it hit 3400 rpm and climbed 4900 rpm easy same speed as the 19". The Volvo props hole shot was better then the 19". Boat loaded the same as always

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Strange result...but as we all know, propeller choice and their results tend to throw up surprise results.

89retta

Tell me about it. When I first got this boat it had a 17" SS Volvo prop awesome hole shot but hit the limiter easy. Tried a 19" SS Volvo prop same results. Tried a 21" SS High 5 and could still hit the limiter. Had a 4 blade Apollo SS 20" worked great till I scraped some rocks. Would like to try a 3 blade 20" SS prop.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Something isn’t right with your figures...

You should have picked up quite a bit of speed going to the 21” prop

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

You would think Dingbat...but sometimes doesn’t always happen like that... with flex in blades on the Ally VP prop. Black art as we all know.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe try a really good quality stainless prop. Enertia or laser 2 etc. If you do need a 20”...I think very few of the well known stainless props suitable, come in that size. The exception is the Enertia.

89retta

Maybe try a really good quality stainless prop. Enertia or laser 2 etc. If you do need a 20”...I think very few of the well known stainless props suitable, come in that size. The exception is the Enertia.

Jimmbo has a 20" Raker that I can try out in the near future

89retta

You would think so. Check my numbers and with the Turning point 4 blade 19' prop my slip was about 5%. With the 21" Volvo prop the slip is close to 14%. That explains the speed being the same

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You would think so. Check my numbers and with the Turning point 4 blade 19' prop my slip was about 5%. With the 21" Volvo prop the slip is close to 14%. That explains the speed being the same

I went from a SS 4 blade 17” to a SS 3 blade 15” . Hole shot improved. Speed increased and slip dropped over 50%.

Quality props do make a difference.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Boaters likes going straight for 4 blade props whether alum or SS when have not tried same 3 blade current prop model in less pitch to get out of the hole much faster if that's what you're aiming for. Engine manufacturers have a large OEM prop selection to play with, a matter to try them out.

Happy Boating

89retta

Boaters likes going straight for 4 blade props whether alum or SS when have not tried same 3 blade current prop model in less pitch to get out of the hole much faster if that's what you're aiming for. Engine manufacturers have a large OEM prop selection to play with, a matter to try them out.

Happy Boating

When I first got this boat 4 years ago it came with two Volvo SS props 17 and 19 3 blades. And both of those easily hit the limiter but came out of the hole fast. The reason I went with the 4 blade was it solved the problem of hitting the limiter.