Propeller repair questions

proptech138

Recruit
Hello, I have been repairing propellers from 18" to 130" for a little over 10 years. I had a back injury, and I can no longer return to swinging 20lb sledge hammers. This has always been a passion of mine. I dropped out of college to pursue this career. Where I live there are only two small prop shops that repair outboard and mud boat props. I did a little research, and I found a company that does training in FL. Before I consider it... I was hoping for some help here. I know knowledge is the most important thing when it comes to this area. Knowing how much pitch is needed for certain engines and hp... etc. I definitely would prefer to open my own shop as these two shops are not hiring/training. Where would be the best place to get educated on these things? I am confident in my skills as far as repairing/welding/grinding goes, that I wouldn't have an issue with those areas. I am willing to take business classes as well, but I just need to understand everything before I take the risk.

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most small prop repair shops have gone under. you may want to simply pair up with a well established prop shop.

ahicks

Captain
You really do need to find somebody willing to take you on as an apprentice. I'd be shy of any school that says they can pass this info on effectively - to the point they could turn you loose in a repair facility of your own. There's a giant amount of info you need to keep available in your mental file, and the only way I know of getting that started is to get your hands dirty.

Guys that are good have been doing this for 20 years or more.....