Prop for my proline 231 io

Dyerhard

Cadet
Hey all I'm new to the forum I bought a used 1994 proline 231 io 5.7 bravo i currently live in east tn but am moving to indiantown fl in a year or so. Hence the proline I was wondering if the prop on my boat is correct for the application it's a 14.5 x 17 pitch ss thanks for any input jeff

Dyerhard

Cadet
More info the motor is a 94 the outdrive is a bravo I was told a bravo 2 but I'm a little confused the upper sticker says bravo 1 is the only difference between a 1 and 2 the lower or foot thanks again jeff

TurtleTamer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'll want to prop it for the WOT range for your engine. Verify your range with the serial number for your engine. You'll want to be at operating temp and with an average load for your boat to include people, fuel and gear, and the engine should be properly tuned up and maintained. If you're reaching the WOT range then you are propped correctly. RPM too high, you'll want to go with a higher pitch. Too low, you may want to back off. You'll also need to take into consideration what the boat is used for. If you're pulling skiers you may want a lower pitch for better hole shot. Running offshore over distance you might want more speed so you could go up a size, but be careful either way as you don't want to over-rev with too little pitch and you don't want to lug the engine with too much. There's also a performance difference between stainless and aluminum props.

Bondo

Staff member
More info the motor is a 94 the outdrive is a bravo I was told a bravo 2 but I'm a little confused the upper sticker says bravo 1 is the only difference between a 1 and 2 the lower or foot thanks again jeff

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... All of the Bravo uppers are the same, only the lowers change for B-1s, B-2s, 'n B-3s,....

A B-1 lower can turn a prop up to 16" diameter, 8" 'tween the prop shaft, 'n anti-cav plate,.....

A B-2 turns a HUGE prop, like a tugboat or houseboat,.... Donno the limit of diameter, but HUGE,....

'n this bein' a prop question, I'll attempt to move this to the Prop Forum,.....

Dyerhard

Cadet
Thanks for all the info how can I tell the difference between a bravo 1 and bravo 2 lower. I ordered a bellows kit and gumball bearing the other day I'm glad I found this forum I'm sure there will be questions in the future thanks again for the info.