2010 tracker tahoe q5i sf RPM range and top speed

Mee2dude

Cadet
I have recently bought a 2010 q5i sport fish it has just over 100hrs on motor it seems to run out good. I am just curious as to what rpm it is supposed to run when at full throttle. and what speed that should be at. when i had just me and my wife in the boat it would get up to about 4000 rpm and 40 mph is that where it should be?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard....

would help if you told us what motor

however 4000 RPM is low on any motor

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah...need to know what type and size of engine.
Example would be
mercruiser 4.3, 5.0 or 350 mpi (most likely on that boat)
or Volvo Penta 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7 GSI or GXI etc etc.

But as mentioned, 4000 rpm at wot is certainly way low for any modern engine likely to be fitted in this boat
look forward to trying to help. Great guys on here and an incredible base of knowledge

Mee2dude

Cadet
Srry it is a 4.3 mercruiser. I’m not sure on the outdrive it’s a mercruiser but not sure which one. It’s a stock prop on the boat which I don’t know the pitch yet.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. Good to know if it’s an MPI or carb ?
have you got these results when you are trimmed out on the drive ? If not...it makes a huge difference.
Soeak soon.

Mee2dude

Cadet
Throttle body I think. Trimmed out as in max trim up? I’m new to inboard boats I have ran outboards and pwc a bunch. When running it seemed if I trimmed up it was decrease speed and sound like it was cavitating I could not see the prop due to swim deck it hides it from view. I will get some pics of it and model number off motor to give y’all better knowledge of what it is

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah...trimming the leg up is called trimming out usually. When running wot, best to trim out to optimum where the forces from the drive are able to lift the boat and enable it to run with as less drag as possible.
Man example of how affective this can be...if I have the trim fully down and wot...the boat will have the bow down and almost ploughing through the water at low 50’s mph....trim her up and out and she will sit almost with just the drive in the water and run well into the 60’s. Even at cruising RPMs. Good to get her trimmed out a little for optimum efficiency.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If it has the stock prop on it . Might be a 23" which is to much. Check to see what pitch it is as that's useful information. If it is a 23 drop down to a 19

Mee2dude

Cadet
Where will I be able to find the pitch on the prop? I took it out over the weekend and ran with it trimmed so the prop was just under the water and it ran 4100 rpm and 43mph on gauge and 39 on gps. If I trimmed up any more it would rev higher but lose speed and pull. If I went down farther it would slow it down as if the front of the hull was plowing.

Mee2dude

Cadet
I think it’s a 23 pitch prop. I found these numbers on the inside collar of it J14 x 23p. If I drop to a 19 what metal should I consider and brand of prop? Also is then done fairly easy at home or best for shop to switch out. I don’t plan on fishing much with it. I am more into tubbing maybe sking/wake boarding and just swimming from it.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
If it’s a mercruiser, that boat will have an alpha1 drive and the gear ratio will be on the label on the outdrive.

to find out the prop size remove the prop but, the tab washer, and the “aft adaptor” under the tab washer. The prop size should be written under the aft adaptor. It takes about a minute or two to dig down to it.

If I were a gambler, I’d bet you’ve got a 1.62 ratio and a 21 pitch prop. My reasoning is based on experience with the 4.3, and I know for a fact that a 4.3 with 1.81 gears can do just fine with many 23pitch props especially when the boat is a 19’-20’ runabout. And if you read through previous threads here, it seems that the 1.62 gearset is just too tall for the 4.3 and 5.0 in most instances.

But again, always verify what you’ve got before Pulling out the credit card.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
You beat me to the post. Find the gear ratio. It should be on the side of the outdrive on the mercury/mercruiser label. Go to this thread and check post #12 on the first page to see where you can find the ratio.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...questions-and-topics/10518908-merc-v8-re-prop

Even if you’ve got a 23p prop, I’m still guessing you’ve got a 1.62 ratio. You’ll most likely be looking at 19 pitch props.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
A prop change can be done in about 3-4 minutes. You ca find videos on YouTube.

i assume it has an aluminum prop?

it doesn’t really matter much, but it would be nice to know which 4.3 you’ve got. There were two types available in 2010, the MPI (220hp) or TKS(190hp, 2 barrel carb).

So what we do know is that you’ve most likely got a 23 pitch prop and a 1.81 gear ratio. And you top out at 39mph at around 4K rpm.

Some people will say you should step down in pitch. I’m going to tell you to find out why you’re not making full power. I’ve got a 2002 4.3 2barrel (190hp) going through a gen 1 alpha with a 1.84 gear ratio. I’ve got a 23 pitch laser2 and a 23 pitch mirage plus. My boat is a 28 year old Wellcraft eclipse 196 (20’6 LOA). So I’m right about the same size as you. My laser2 hits the limiter and the mirage plus hits 4700-4750.

if my boat can turn these props, yours should be able to as well. since it can’t, the first thing would be to find out why. The first thing I’d do is figure out the age of the gas in the tank, and if you haven’t done so, change the fuel/water separator.

Whatever you do, don’t just throw a 19pitch prop on and forget about it, no matter how many times you’re told that’s fine.

Mee2dude

Cadet
Fuel is new as in less than a month old just ran a full tank through it and I will look to confirm carb or not when I get back to garage where it is. Rpm will go higher when I trim up closer to surface of water but it slows down I don’t wanna see how far it goes cause it gets slower so I figure max is where rpm stays steady with speed. Aluminum prop 3 blade mercury prop. I think it is 2 barrel carb 190 I need to look more for tags to truly find out