23 pitch prop?

alldodge

Staff member
Cruising at 3000 doesn't mean your burning more fuel then if you were only turning 2500. If the motor is lugging it will burn more fuel. You can rev the motor in neutral real high and use next to no fuel. So if your cruising at 3500 and your propped correctly you will be the most efficient.

My 4800 lb Rinker will cruise 2800, but does better at 3400 (2.5 MPG)
My 10000 lb cruiser does best at 3600 (about 1 MPG)

kdiddle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great input, AllDodge. Didn't really think of it that way, but you have a point about the engine burning more fuel when having to work harder.

I ended up speaking with Turning Point about my concern between the 19 and the 21 and ended up going with their recommendation of the 4-blade 19. They supposedly offer a trade in program if its not the right one and would swap for the 21 if I end up being over my rpm max.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Quick follow up and question. I took it out yesterday and with only myself on board and water like glass,

Boats are faster on 2-6 ripple/chop than slick water.....the wetted surface sticks to slick water and makes you slower, and never wax a bottom.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Boats are faster on 2-6 ripple/chop than slick water.....the wetted surface sticks to slick water and makes you slower, and never wax a bottom.

Totally agree with this above. My boat is certainly quicker by a good 5-7mph when running in a bit of chop, over flat calm. She likes a bit of air under the hull to bring her up onto the running flat pad. In flat calm, the suction is a hell of a drag. Well pointed out faztbullet and often not considered or even understood