Enertia Prop Review

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've run a 14.25 x 17, Evinrude Offshore Renegade (4 blade) prop for 10 seasons now. It ran well, held in the slop and had a pretty good hole shot but my slip was approaching 20% at wide open.

Decided to look around to see what advancements in prop technology had been made over the past 10 years. Checking around, the Mercury Enertia came highly recommend for my boat motor combo.

Installed a 15 x 15 Mercury Enertia on Tuesday. The prop is extremely light compared to the Renegade. Doesn't bang as much going in the out gear.

The boat jumped on plane with ease. Even a fishing partner who fishes with me 2-3 times a years noticed the difference. Had to bump the throttle 50-100 rpm to keep my 27 kt. cruising speed but my WOT was now 5,500 and I picked up almost 2 kts. on the top end. The biggest improvement was in prop slip. Went from 18% to 7% at WOT....

Still have a lot of variables (trim, tabs, running angle) to play with, but overall pretty happy with first results.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Glad to see you’ve had a positive outcome. What kind of boat, motor, etc?

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those are some pretty astounding results. In your case not leaving well enough alone paid dividends. Well done!

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds about right to me. Went from a 14.75x17-4 blade to a 15x15 -3 blade, increased hole shot, increased upper WOT RPM, and reduced slip from 18 to 7 percent

4 blades are great for lift, but also have more drag, and getting closer to the upper RPM limit up is always good

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Decided to look around to see what advancements in prop technology had been made over the past 10 years.

I've been running the Enertia for 11 or 12 yrs now. I have recommended it several times, but a lot of people balk at the price. I will admit it is not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh jeez...keep hearing only good things about this prop. Just that the price and the option for 1” increment on pitch makes me hesitant about getting it wrong. I have no option to try before I buy because it needs to be specially ordered In over here. Wish I had a crystal ball. I keep reading that it would likely drop the RPMs in comparison to a same pitch laser 2 or MW ballistic...but I’m not sure. I thought the reasonable diameter and lighter weight might give a few more revs over the laser. Mmm....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My Enertia is 1" less than the AL Volvo prop that came on my boat. Being that the Enertia has lots of Rake and the blades slant back and reduce dia. the blades do have a lot of area
enertia.jpgenertia2.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Looks like it Jimbo. I’d be amazed if they have more area than the ballistic, but according to most reports. They must, because they seem to drop the RPMs in comparison, like for like pitch.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That might be less slippage. The Enertia has pretty big blades, and a very long hub. There are many factors that affect performance. Several props will get the engine to the preferred RPM, but each may have a different top end, affect the boats handling, and/or ride. For my boats and type of boating the RAKER and Enteria have been outstanding. Others OK, and still others were usable as anchors or ballast.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In my case, dropping a blade and 2” in pitch increased rpm 300-350 rpm.

The Enertia produces much less bow lift than my old prop which is a good thing given the boat’s natural bow high running angle.

Less tab in the water to maintain optimum running angle is a good....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh man...I’m even more at a puzzle after the above comment about less now lift. Does it produce more stern lift ?
my wee boat prettt much relies on getting the hull into the air and clear of the water. It needs to run on the flat pad at the rear of the hull to see the speeds it does currently. I’m worried now that the Enertia won’t lift it as high as the laser or ballistic.
The laser is on the boat just now and is great for all round ability. It’s predictable and consitantly pretty quick. The ballistic has seen higher top end speeds but not all the time...only when conditions are right and never when I want it to be “ballistic”...like coming up against my nemesis boat on the Loch...a Fletcher Arrowbeau 17 with a 2 stroke Yam 225. This thing runs like a bloody hydrostream in mid air !

alldodge

Staff member
Oh man...I’m even more at a puzzle after the above comment about less now lift. Does it produce more stern lift ?
my wee boat prettt much relies on getting the hull into the air and clear of the water. It needs to run on the flat pad at the rear of the hull to see the speeds it does currently. I’m worried now that the Enertia won’t lift it as high as the laser or ballistic.
The laser is on the boat just now and is great for all round ability. It’s predictable and consitantly pretty quick. The ballistic has seen higher top end speeds but not all the time...only when conditions are right and never when I want it to be “ballistic”...like coming up against my nemesis boat on the Loch...a Fletcher Arrowbeau 17 with a 2 stroke Yam 225. This thing runs like a bloody hydrostream in mid air !

Whipple charger

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If only I could get one at the price you guys do. It’s just not even a thing over here. These engines are only in boats. Just isn’t a market for it at all.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mercury needed more money to pay K9 seducing Executives/Managers bigger bonuses, so they jacked the Retail price of the Enteria to over 1100 dollars(can). Can you say Gouge?