135hp 3.0 mercrusier w/ Alpha 1 drive prop sizing

sdrgac

Recruit
Any help would be appreciated....

I have a 2006 Fisher 24' Pontoon that needs to be re-propped. I bought the boat used and it had a bad prop that was not original and I replaced it after talking to a local boat mechanic but it isn't right as I cant get WOT up to 4800. Motor was tuned 3 years ago.

What I have now is a 15 x 17 Prop. Engine WOT is around 3800 with a GPS speed of 18 mph fully loaded (6 adults, coolers, and gear) in calm conditions. Pontoons are clean and polished with little to no drag. Altitude is around 5000 feet.

I do occasionally pull a tube with a couple of younger teenagers behind so I would like to get a good speed to power ratio. Any help is appreciated.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Altitude and excesive load is killing the combo performance.. Try a 3 blade alum or ss prop in the 13-15 pitch range to pull wot revs higher towards max wot rpm range.

Right now engine is being lugged running 1 K under what should be (4800) to rev happily as loaded.

Happy Boating

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
As a general rule, every inch/degree you drop the pitch of a prop you will gain about 200 rpm's. That is a very general guideline, and there are many variables--engine running condition, load, water conditions, altitude...

Hypothetically, if you went from a 17 pitch to a 13 pitch--4 inches/degrees--you should gain around 800 rpm's.

Hope this helps a bit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is the local "mechanic" knows nothing about proping 'toons.

you are way over-propped. drop down to a 13 pitch

sdrgac

Recruit
Thank you all for the input. i have ordered a new 15x13 prop. have a great day. What speed should i see with a 13' pitch?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Impossible to tell, prop must be water tested as usually loaded on flat calm water cond. Report max wot rpm gained with a 13 prop to see if dials + 200 rpm per 1 pitch decrease.

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah way over propped...I’d be tempted to get a dealer to let you try a 15” high 5.