Tough question I know

salalumllc

Recruit
I bought a 1995 Sea Ray 200 Signature BR last year that I started "repairs" on that turned into a full blown gut and restoration. I had it down to bare hull and am currently working on new stringers and deck. The problem is the boat came with no motor or outdrive so I had to salvage them from a junk boat. The other problem is I went from a Mercruiser 305 small block to a Merc 350 small block that I am currently doing a total rebuild on as well. The alpha one gen one is in fairly good shape but Im rebuilding that as well with new parts - the issue is the prop that came with it is damaged and came out of a smaller boat with a smaller engine so I need to figure out where to start without spending a ton of money on brand new stainless props because I know I need to get everything together and get it all dialed in first.

So the main question is - where should I start with size and pitch? I want to begin with cheaper used props first as I know I will go through 2 or 3 of them before I am happy with the performance, once dialed in I will spend on a new SS prop in whatever size/pitch I am satisfied with but I really don't have a starting point for this size boat/engine combo.

Also keep in mind that I am new to boating as this is my first one but the restoration and engine building is something I know quite well. I just don't have the previous experience to be able to answer this question myself.

Thanks in advance
-Joe

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I'd start with a plain ole stock 19" pitch, 'n go from there,.....

If it ain't exactly right, it'll work as a spare back-up prop,.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Can check with boat manufacturer which starter prop would recommend to install if going for a larger HP engine or use a prop calculator and go from there fine tuning best prop for current application and load.

Happy Boating

Maclin

Admiral
Is the outdrive original to this boat? Just wondering about the drive ratio. If it is not original to the boat then I would want to determine the ratio of the one you have now. If it is original then Bondo has it nailed, good starting point is the 19p. Good luck, sounds like you are finally getting to the fun part on your project!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
What ratio drive you put on it ? Ideally a 1.47. Then 19” be about right for starters. If a 1.62...need to be a 21” for starters.

salalumllc

Recruit
The outdrive is not from this boat, but a smaller boat with a 305 sb. I’ll have to check the gear ratio.

Thanks for for the replies so far. So It looks like everyone agrees on a 19” pitch to start with. Im guessing around a 14-14.5” diameter?

-Joe

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
If that’s an alpha gen1, then it should be a 1.65 ratio of the engine was rated for 200HP. If rated at 230, then the ratio should be 1.5. On alpha gen2 drives, the ratios are a hair numerically lower.

alpha gen1 ended mid year 1990. Barring a few exceptions, virtually everything was gen2 by ‘91.

Youll be fine with a 19 pitch. High chance of being underpropped, but you’ll be fine as long as you keep it out of redline.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My standard answer is go to a prop shop and let them guide you, give you props to test, and sell you what works on the first prop you buy.....at a higher price than online but will probably be what you want and need which is cheaper in the long run.