New SS prop. Awesome performance. Got desired results, but WOT rpm "too high"

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New SS prop. Awesome performance. Got desired results, but WOT rpm "too high"

Hello all.
I have a 2016 carolina skiff jvx18 with a yamaha f70. I had an aluminum 3 blade prop, 13.75 / 15. I ran about 31 to 32 mph GPS speed and wot is 5600 - 5800 rpm.

I needed a better hole shot.

I bought a 4 blade SS prop. 13.5 / 13. I still run around 31 to 32 mph top end. My hole shot is unreal. My buddy who fishes with me only a couple times yelled "dude that was amazing" when I first took off. He even noticed. It is like a new boat.

However, when i drop the throttle to the console, i now run around 6300 rpm. I know that is common. I do not want to increase pitch again because I like my results. Would it be ok to just be aware of my situation and not run WOT and always just pull back to stay in the high 5's?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Your leaving HP on the table.

Had a similar experience with my last boat. Ended up going back up in pitch and switched to a vented prop. Problem solved.

Had the prop shop tweek the cup to get rpm under control on my current boat

82rude

Rear Admiral
Your operating range is between 53-6300 rpm.Pretty well every new outboard has a rev limiter .Mine has max rpm of 6000 rpm and hits the limiter at 6250 which happened one time according to the computer printout when I was trying out new props when new.You got exactly what you were looking for,a betterhole shot with no loss of speed so why not stay with it ?http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=4311

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So back off the throttle a bit when you are lightly loaded

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your operating range is between 53-6300 rpm.Pretty well every new outboard has a rev limiter .Mine has max rpm of 6000 rpm and hits the limiter at 6250 which happened one time according to the computer printout when I was trying out new props when new.You got exactly what you were looking for,a betterhole shot with no loss of speed so why not stay with it ?http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=4311

Mine will definitely get up in rpm's. Accidentally got trim up too quick and didn't realize.

Anyway you're right. That 5800 was wrong. That's what the dealer said and I never questioned it.
I went to my new shop today and he said i actually have it perfect now. I won't ever run it that hard for long obviously. But yeah 6300 is within range i just discovered.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When lightly loaded say solo boating, don't need to to go full throttle to plane faster, 3/4 throttle will suffice. Now that OB is running towards its full wot rpm range as loaded can run it hard all you want, nothing will happen will just consume more fuel along more fun..

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Take it to a prop shop and have it double cupped...will drop RPMs a some and will pick up a tad in speed..holeshot wont be hurt..

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take it to a prop shop and have it double cupped...will drop RPMs a some and will pick up a tad in speed..holeshot wont be hurt..

Awesome. Thanks. I got it from a great prop shop in Cape Canaveral. Great, knowledgeable guys. I'll give them a call!

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Four blades hook up better, like 4 wheel drive for water, but the penalty is drag. I wouldn't change a thing, but I like strong performance out of the hole with skiers.