Should I Change the Pitch?

GaryAK

Seaman
Tohatsu TLDI 115 on a 22' dory. WOT range:52-5800. I have a 3 lobe Solas New Saturn prop 15 pitch. At WOT I'm right at 5800 rpm without hitting the over rev limiter. Sounds perfect except that I'm also going 40 mph. Rare is the day when I could use that speed in the Gulf of Alaska. I'm thinking about a Solas Titan 4 lobe to improve mid range performance. 1. Does that make sense? 2. If it does make sense, should I keep the 15 pitch? Bottom line...I wouldn't mind trading 5 mph top end for a better life in the middle. Thanks for any suggestions!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, doesnt make sense as when you are more than lightly loaded you will be lugging the motor

your current prop is properly selected for your hull/motor

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If OB is revving spot on at its max wot rpm range as currently loaded OB is propped right. OB will perform satisfactorily throughout idle, miid and wot throttle range.

Happy Boating

GaryAK

Seaman
Ok, guys. Thanks for both responses. I guess I'll just have to man up and deal with my perfect situation...lol

Attachments

• PICT0005 (1).JPG
    PICT0005 (1).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Congrats, nice watercraft. A simple test, add extra weight, kids, passengers, for OB to rev towards middle wot range when at full throttle, that will be your current prop weight limit, still nice performance without having to go for a less pitch prop. Going under middle range will be close to enter lugging territory which OB's doesnt like.

Happy Boating