78 HYDRASPORT 17.9 150HP V6 PROP HELP

tawas23

Cadet
No Title

ok here is a picture of my boat it has the 150hp V6 serial # 5130069 and now thinking the outboard is mounted to low maybe thats why I am getting these numbers.I cant measure now because its winterized and batteries are out so cant lower to measure.hope this picture helps .I do have outboard up almost high as I can 2 inches above transom mount I will get pic of that too next also no jackplare..forgot to ask what numbers does the serial fall between as I am kind lost with letters being in front of my serial number 5130069 I think its between 4868998 - 0A904645 if I am wrong can somone let me know if Iam looking in correct numbers thanks again for the help appreicated

Attachments

• photo281892.jpg
    photo281892.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281897.jpg
    photo281897.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh jeez Jimbo...I?m back to square one. It?s a v6.
Firstly I would take the silly doel fin off it. No need for it and will always hinder a high performance boat like this.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well the cowl is a 79. The boat is a bass style boat. On those boats the engines were mounted quite high. The hull ends considerably forward of the transom, if I'm not mistaken, sort of like a built in transom offset. Which does permit a higher height. Until you are sure where the anti-ventilation plate is in relation to the hull bottom, not just the bottom of the transom, I won't speculate you need to raise it up any higher. Below is something I found, it is for 1977 though. It will get bigger if clicked on1977-Hydra-Sport-Ad-compb.jpg

tawas23

Cadet
yes you are correct on you answer it is exactly what you said bottom is forward of the transom.and I will take that fin off and try it but almost all the hydrasports like this one I have seen pics all have that same fin on for some reason and was on boat when purchased. I run in lake Huron so though it helps with rough water and handling as I am really happy how good it runs in rough water its amazing.