honda 50hp BF series 2006 prop slipping

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my orig. prop., after 10yrs of never being removed, was removed, shaft splines coated with anti seeze grease and replaced. After about five hours of service it started to spin on the hub at about 1500rpm. Under 1500 rpm no slippage. When I re-installed the prop. I tightened the castle nut to the first slot that lined with the cotter hole( basically finger tight) in the shaft and installed the cotter pin. Is this correct procedure or should I have gone to the next slot which would be about 20psi of torque pressure.
Thinking the prop. was bad, I did put on a new prop. and no problems.

thanks for any advise...

ahicks

Captain
You put it on correctly. The splines on the shaft keep the prop from spinning. All the nut does is keep it from sliding off the splines/shaft.

If the prop is spinning and you've made no other changes, you may be up for a new prop.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Tightening the nut has nothing to do with the prop spinning. Take it in and have a new rubber bushing pressed in place.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You have answered yourself, new prop, no problems. Was wondering if hubs go bad over time/years due to salt water use, props never rinsed with fresh water after use, external temperature when out of water, rubber hub drying, cracking, etc. In all my boating years which are not few have had no spun prop on any of my OB's and all running at max wot rpm range. Props banging hard on rocks, sand mounds are excluded.

Happy Boating