YAMAHA OUTBOARD -ALPHA ONE PROP?

OLDFISHER

Cadet
Just found on CL a SS prop 15 spline 15-1\4 X 17 just what I (think) I need. The poster claims it is one of many trial and error props for his Yamaha OB but the numbers match what I want for my Alpha one gen 2 outdrive. My question Is it worth the drive and look? my alum. prop is bad, his is SS for 100.00 like new.
​Yamaha to Mercruiser? will it work? Thanks

ahicks

Captain
Prior to coming out with their own, Honda used that same Mercury lower unit on it's early 75 and 90hp outboards as well. I'd say if the number on the prop checks out, go for it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A prop from a 90 HP Merc (4-1/4 hub) will likely not work on a Mercruiser Alpha (4-3/4 hub), due the the different size hubs. A V6 Merc prop will work on Mercruiser Alpha. I do not know the hub size of a Yammy, off hand.

Of course, props with modular hubs can be swapped with the purchase of the correct hub kit, provided the hub size is correct.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
How far of a drive is it? If not too far, bring your boat with you and see if it fits.

OLDFISHER

Cadet
I took my prop (damaged) with me and the seller let me slip it on his motor, looked fine so I paid him the 100 bucks and left. When I got to my boat it was a perfect fit except my zinc is in the way because of the 2" p difference. I will purchase a different zinc as mine was about due to change anyway. I did not change hubs spacers or nuts and cant wait to hit the water. I wanted to go up one size in pitch anyway so now we know it will work fit wise. Thanks