4th propeller....excessive ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok, so on my constant search for prop perfection, I e decided to take the plunge and order an enertia prop.
Is it possible to have too many props ? Should I trade in the laser 2 ? Can't bare the thought of it.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
If you're not going to use it, get some money out of it. I've got a laser2/lightspeed that I bought 2 months ago. I used it a few times and then I got a mirage that I like a lot more. I don't see much point keeping the Laser since I doubt I'll use it again.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah...suppose I understand your point, but the laser is a rare thing these days. Surely one of the best all round props ever. Just might not forgive myself if I got rid.
I've tried the mirage...to be honest I didn't think it was any better than a black max ally.
The laser isn't on the boat anymore, but I'm pretty sure it was more consistently faster than the ballistic that's on it now. The ballistic has recorded a higher speed, but it takes a good while and a bit of luck to get it dialled in perfectly. The laser was a simple thing. Open the throttle, trim up until it looses grip, then a nudge down....then she would fly.
To counter, I had a higher pitch laser and although it was absolutely stellar top end....it was useless everywhere else.
Enertia it is, I suspect. If it doesn't perform better, then one of them will be sold....but I suspect it won't be the laser. Haha.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I sympathize with your desire to maintain a wall full of shiny props. I won't be happy until I add at least one more mirage, an enertia, and a rev4. The Laser just wasn't doing it for my boat. Good top end, but poor handling at high speed. And that high top end would come down fast when you started adding weight to the boat. My boat is just too heavy to get great results from the laser 2. I've got 1990 wellcraft eclipse 196. What do you have?

The mirage+ has never failed to impress me. My speed is not as high as with the laser2. The laser2 is also a 23P vs the mirage+ which is a 21P. But the mirage is always constant. Just myself and no smart tabs? 48/49mph. Myself and a passenger or 2? 48/49mph. Myself and smart tabs in the 4th hole? 48/49 mph. The Laser with me, 2 passengers, and smart tabs on the 4th hole is 46mph. Fully unloaded, this prop will do 52.

The only reason I'd sell a prop is to pay for another. Otherwise, I'd keep it. I may try to seek my Laser when I'm in Florida. But that's so I can pick up another mirage.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One can never have to many props. I have 6 props as of now. Kept a new SS Viper prop on the coffee table for months . Made a perfect candle holder as I found a candle that fit into the splines perfectly plus it kept the wife happy.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Blade tips up like a flower, or the tips down like legs?

89retta

Blade tips up like a flower, or the tips down like legs?

​Blade tips down. Kinda like the idea of the tips up. Boating is almost done for the season so a couple candle holders are in order.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
​Blade tips down. Kinda like the idea of the tips up. Boating is almost done for the season so a couple candle holders are in order.

This week the temps are going be in the High Teens, and the winds low, so I think I will be at Wabby on Friday.

89retta

This week the temps are going be in the High Teens, and the winds low, so I think I will be at Wabby on Friday.

​I was just saying to the wife that we should go there on Saturday

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Bravo three outdrive, and use 22 pitch props for Denver, 24 for 2-3000 feet, and 26 for sea level-ish. How many is too many? Recreation time is precious, and I want great performance for the conditions rather than good enough.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have a Bravo three outdrive, and use 22 pitch props for Denver, 24 for 2-3000 feet, and 26 for sea level-ish. How many is too many? Recreation time is precious, and I want great performance for the conditions rather than good enough.

Exactly. Never enough......until the good lady decides. Sshhh !

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
With my recent addition of a second Mirage Plus, I must amend my prior statement as I now have 4 SS and one aluminum prop. This will increase as next year my goal is to look into the enertia/q3, and maybe a Rev4 in 23P and I?ll start playing with pvs plugs.

fishrdan

Admiral
4 props "excessive"? Nope, just a beginning! I have at least 15 props... Though 10 of those are trolling motor props, and the others aluminum I/O props that I bought cheap... I bet people have spent more on 1 nice high performance SS prop than I have in my whole collection.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yeah...suppose I understand your point, but the laser is a rare thing these days. Surely one of the best all round props ever. Just might not forgive myself if I got rid.
I've tried the mirage...to be honest I didn't think it was any better than a black max ally.
The laser isn't on the boat anymore, but I'm pretty sure it was more consistently faster than the ballistic that's on it now. The ballistic has recorded a higher speed, but it takes a good while and a bit of luck to get it dialled in perfectly. The laser was a simple thing. Open the throttle, trim up until it looses grip, then a nudge down....then she would fly.
To counter, I had a higher pitch laser and although it was absolutely stellar top end....it was useless everywhere else.
Enertia it is, I suspect. If it doesn't perform better, then one of them will be sold....but I suspect it won't be the laser. Haha.

I had a Laser on my '88-89 depends on whose talking, 115 Tower (Merc I6). Really a super prop. Ports were round back then.