Bravo 3 prop pitch mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just thinking out loud.

What if you wanted to go up or down 200 RPM and had multiple sets of different pitch Bravo 3 props lining the walls.
If 24 pitch were on there, and you wanted a little more rev, could you put one 22 pitch prop on with the 24? If so, what position, front or rear?

Would they fight against each other? I hear that props are a balanced set, but after a trip to the prop repair shop, where they beat the hades out of SS props to straighten them, I doubt that the original balance has been maintained, and lots of people use repaired props.

Just playing mad scientist here. Any comments? ​

alldodge

Staff member
Have not tried this but have discussed the issue. Original B3 sets were all even numbers (22, 24, 26,etc) and to get an odd like 23 was unavailable. So folks discussed mixing. The theory was to run a 24 in front and a 22 in the rear. The thought was to keep the max load against the front prop and not the rear. I know of no one which reported back how it paned out, but if you give it a go, lets us know

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Seems to make more sense to have the lower pitch in front, higher in rear. (front = front of boat, just to make sure we have the same terms)

Having a 24 in front means the water is actually running into a wall when it hits the 22 pitch prop. It is creating a high pressure zone between the props, so you have water squirting out to the sides and not moving you forwards. I'd absolutely put the 22 in front, 24 behind, so instead of a high pressure zone, you have a slight low pressure zone where additional water will be sucked in to fill the 2 inch pitch difference.

Last edited:

Jersey Guy

Seaman
I realize that this is an old topic but I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on this subject? Btw, I have the 24P 22P Bravo 3 setup with the 22 in front (towards bow) and 24 in rear.

I purchased the boat used 19 years old and don’t know for sure it this is how crownline produced it. The boat uses a lot of fuel and is basically slow (43mph) the engine and drive are all original with low hours do I am assuming the propellers are too.

Any way, if anyone has any added information I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• photo311958.jpg
    photo311958.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311992.jpg
    photo311992.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I doubt it's how it left the dealer, those props look bead blasted vs normal ss polished so I suspect some one put on what they had, maybe same situation several props mixed and matched what wasn't banged up.

When you say it's slow what size boat and engine. 43 may be ok for some combos. In the end lots of boats have engines a tad too small to keep price down.

Status
Not open for further replies.