comparing two props for my pontoon

captmello

Captain
Hi, I'm picking up a new prop for the pontoon in my sig to reward her for another great season. I'm currently running a slightly dinged up solas aluminum 13" pitch 4 blade prop which has worked well for the past couple years. In the past I've bought the solas props for both my boats because of their cheaper price. I was going to by another but I noticed that I can get the michigan wheel vortex prop for just a couple bucks more.
The only difference I see is the Mich. wheel is about 1/2 inch bigger in diameter.
Anyone have any experience with the Mich. wheel props? any reason to think it would be any better than the Solas?
Thanks!

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I've read the Michigan props aren't worth a crap and i have read the Solas aren't worth a crap. So its a crap shoot :). I'll be trying my new Solas prop in a few days after this rain passes.

Sorry i can't help you any.

phillnjack2

Ensign
ahhh
the Michigan props might be crap for outboards, BUT when you get the Michigan's for Volvo penta they are pretty good props.
I had a Volvo penta A290sp drive on my Campion allante and had 2 Volvo props and 2 Michigan props. the biggest was the Michigan and boy what a fast prop.
the smallest was also a Michigan I think about 13 pitch and that was real nice prop. BUT solas make some nice looking props that are very weak, and not much good unless you get a real cheap second-hand one to keep as spare. they are machined good and badly balanced if at all from new.
a good few of the new BRP props are now made by solas and they are also crap.
the original raker prop was good, then BRP get solas to make the raker 2 and that is very weak.
Best to buy good used stainless props if you can then have them tweaked at a good prop shop, it might work out near the price of new but you will have a truly good prop that has been customised to your boat .
so personaly I would go with the Michigan over the solas every time.