Propeller shaft taper

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
How do you find out the taper on the propeller end of the shaft. The reason I ask is because I have a propeller I want to try out but it doesn't fit. Is there a way of working it out or will it be stamped on the shaft somewhere. Also the same for the propeller. If I can find out the taper size I can get the propeller machined. Propellers don't seem to have the hole and taper size on them just the diameter and pitch.

alldodge

Staff member
How do you find out the taper on the propeller end of the shaft. The reason I ask is because I have a propeller I want to try out but it doesn't fit. Is there a way of working it out or will it be stamped on the shaft somewhere. Also the same for the propeller. If I can find out the taper size I can get the propeller machined. Propellers don't seem to have the hole and taper size on them just the diameter and pitch.

Some Inboard props can have a tapper and use a key way. Have a pic of the prop?

alldodge

Staff member
That's the type I have. Taper and a keyway I can take a picture.

OK, inboard props are done by prop shaft size (1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4..etc or 25mm, 28, 32 etc). Measure your prop shaft diameter and match it to the prop, figure it is for a smaller shaft. Most prop shops should be able to tell you if it can be modified

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
As I remember there are several STANDARD tapers used on various size shafts. Measure with a decent caliper the small end of the taper then the large end. Then measure accurately the length of the taper. Measure only the taper, not any landings or threads. Since it will undoubtedly be standard, the machine shop will know what it is and will be able to duplicate it. If you don't trust yourself, drive the boat over to the shop and let them measure.