Can I stack thrust washers?

I bought a new prop, and it seems to fit, but there was some play between the prop and the washers. Integrated Hub.

I thought maybe I just didn't have the right thrust washer/parts, so I ordered a new kit. Still has the play. However, everything seems perfect if I just stack two thrust washers on top of eachother.

I saw elsewhere that sometimes there are different thickness thrust washers, but I have not seen that for the Alpha I.

I don't feel like stacking two thrust washers on top of eachother is the right way to do it, but I also don't see how it could possibly cause a problem either. Its not like its introducing play into the situation? I also don't see a place to order a double-thickness thrust washer.

To my biggest surprise, I haven't seen anyone else really having this issue- most people who have play its because there is no continuity washer, but I'm talking a full thrust-washer's thickness play.

Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like your Alpha is similar to Force engines: The splines of the prop shaft stick out about 3/16 past the prop hub. Poor choice--You can use a couple of heavy washers under the prop nut OR BEST: Get the splined Mercury bronze "washer" which engages the excess splines. A stainless washer mated to the prop nut has tabs that are bent down into slots on the bronze washer and prevents the nut from working loose. You certainly do not want to use two thrust washers.

Thanks Frank,

I pulled the prop and put another one on there for the short term. The one that uses the flo torque II hub seems fine, but the one with the integrated hub- even though it says it fits the alpha I has the play. I bought the splined bronze washer, but I still have about a quarter inch of play.If its OK to stick a few heavy washers under the bronze washer that caps the splines, I'll go ahead and do that. Does anyone have a better alternative? It doesn't seem like the right way to do it, but at the same time there doesn't seem like a reason it shouldn't be OK. I find it odd that no one else has suggested the same problem.