I need a new prop. Any ideas? Thanks

gunner369

Recruit
I have a 2007 Lowe 16.5 ft deep v fishing boat with a 2006 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke efi. I recently broke a fin on the original 13.5 degree 3 fin prop. As I am looking for a new one I may need a change. the boat is 880lbs dry. Before the broken fin, it ran 30-34mph at 6200 rpms perfectly, but seemed to be sluggish to get on plane. It really has no hole shot at all, The speed is fine for me, but I would like to get on plane faster due to some locations that I fish. Any suggestions? Maybe increase pitch? Thank You in advance for the information

Michael

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2007 Lowe 16.5 ft deep v fishing boat with a 2006 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke efi. I recently broke a fin on the original 13.5 degree 3 fin prop. As I am looking for a new one I may need a change. the boat is 880lbs dry. Before the broken fin, it ran 30-34mph at 6200 rpms perfectly, but seemed to be sluggish to get on plane. It really has no hole shot at all, The speed is fine for me, but I would like to get on plane faster due to some locations that I fish. Any suggestions? Maybe increase pitch? Thank You in advance for the information

Michael

Howdy Michael

If you decrease the prop pitch your hole shot will increase but the WOT rpm will also increase and you would over rev. Increasing the prop pitch will reduce hole shot, decrease WOT rpm. Reducing pitch but increasing the number of blades can give better hole shot and keep WOT rpm down within range. Everything is a trade off, more weight, less weight.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Pitch is measured in inches.
It appears your numbers don't add up.Is your speed by gps? 34 mph @ 6200 rpm calculates to 21% slip typical slip would be about 12%.
Slow hole shot and over revving at wot don't usually go together.I suspect your tach may be off high.Do you trim down for hole shot?
Is weight balanced well Battery placement?live wells? People? What is the actual hole shot time?
Is the Antivent plate (just above the prop) about even with the bottom of the boat?

Boats similar to yours with 13 and 14" Spitfire 4 blade props. turn about 5900 rpm at 34-35 mph.
Usually the spit fire is suggested in the same pitch as original if propped right.You should try to verify the tach.

Last edited: