propeller identification mercury 110 9.8

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
Would anyone know what propeller I have on my engine on the side it says 8P A1 on the hub inside at the front it says 48 or 49-77 I can't see the rest. I would of thought this is some of the part number. I'm hoping to find out if this propeller is correct for the engine or if someone at some point has changed it and its incorrect. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
only a few props for the 7.5 and 9.8.

7" pitch, 3-blade (high torque)
7" pitch 2-blade
8" pitch 2-blade
9" pitch 2-blade
or 10" pitch 2-blade.

your 8P indicates its an 8" pitch.

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. If mine is an 8" pitch 3 blade would that be correct for the engine?. What other pitch could I try for more thrust or is the propeller I have going to give all I can get.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Check the yellow stickys at the top of the prop main page.
If you increase pitch (higher number) it is harder for the motor to spin the prop.The 8" should be close to what you need
assuming the boat and load is reasonable for a 9.8. A lightly loaded 9.8 should make about 18-20 mph.
Tell us about your problem we may be able to help you select a prop or tell if there is another problem.
Your prop is selected based on the application. boat? typical load and activities.
If you do a light load test run and give us the numbers wide open throttle, rpm and gps speed.
A inductioon tach will help get your rpm. Your best speed will help us until you get a tach.

Last edited:

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for your reply. I have a post regarding the problem I have with the engine. The post is called mercury 110 9.8 low thrust underpowered. I'm just wondering if the propeller is the original one fitted to this engine of if someone in the past has fitted a different one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your motor is 30 years old. could be original prop, could be a replacement. your current prop is an 8P, however you are having what appears to be ventilation problems.