Indexing V-P Duoprops

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm certain I'm not the first to make this inquiry, but I did a search and couldn't find a post that addresses my specific question: Should the two props on a Volvo-Penta DP-S be installed in any certain position relative to one another? The V-P manual for my engine/drive makes no mention of it, so I suspect not. Anyway, I thought I'd solicit the considered opinion of the experts here.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I do the exact same thing as Maclin does. I have no idea if it helps or not.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ditto here. Couldn't tell you if it helps or not.

Maclin

Admiral
I thought I had this little bit of info in that linked-to post, but it is not, So here it is.....

I was experiencing some bubbling in the metal and paint burn all along the edges of my aluminum DuoProps, was not sure what it as from. Did some research and found a lot of info on an Albermarle owner's site. Albermarle used Volvo Penta 290DP and DP-A drives almost exclusively on their 22+ footers back in the day so to speak. They described the same thing, and their diagnosis was cavitation. They went further and said they found that clocking the props took care of it. They did their homework, tried two sets on very similar boats freshly refurbed, one not clocked and the other clocked. Clocked did not have the burn and nonclocked did. Removed and refurbed the props and switched the clockings and the burn followed the non-clocked ones while the clocked ones stayed nearly pristine.

So, I refurbed mine and re-installed clocking them and my props are nearly the same after many hours. I am sure not all boat installs will respond this way but this is now one of my "superstitions". There is definitely no downside I can see.