Do I Need A Washer Under The Prop Nut?

ggray

Seaman
75 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I bought a Solus prop with the separate rubber hub to replace the original pressed in prop.

Problem is that when I put in all the parts--thrust washer, etc.-- and tightened down on the nut, the nut does not go down far enough on the shaft for the cotter pin to be inserted.

Back and forth with pictures to Solus, and their answer was to just leave the SS washer off to give more room for the nut to screw down.

But I don't like the looks of what the nut will be bearing down on w/o the washer in between. It looks like just the corners of the nut will be in contact with the bronze collar that goes on behind the prop. These photos show what I'm talking about.

It seems the better solution would be to remove material from the bronze collar. Preferably there should be a better fitting collar, which I'm surprised there isn't as it's not like there aren't many Yamahas out there.

ggray

Seaman
Whoops! I didn't mean to post yet.

I might add, the splines of the bronze collar do not reach the splines of the prop shaft.

​Sorry, my photos were rejected.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We forgive you for premature posting. :D

Click on Forum Help in the sig below and look the photo posting link. The easiest way is to use Photobucket and pasting the IMG code for a pic in your message.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I don't need to see any photos: If the splines of the hub do not reach the prop shaft splines then you have the wrong hub. Contact Solas again and speak to a different customer service person who knows what they are talking about.. No larger engine I have ever seen has the prop nut bearing directly on the prop hub without a washer.

I went through something similar with a Suzuki service rep. I was repairing a 4 stroke 30 and NO NONE told me that the crankshaft timing gear is shrunk onto the crank. The original pistons had "eyebrows" cut into them and the replacement piston did not No one thought to equate the eyebrows with timing.

I went crazy trying to get it in timing until I realized that the timing gear had been shifted by a hard strike. The factory timing marks were no longer accurate and the eyebrows in the pistons were due to the valves hitting them.

Moral: Don't take their word for it Speak to another person--if need be a Manager. Be persistent.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
BTW: Some after market props require a special thrust washer specific to that prop. Ask about that too.

ggray

Seaman
First, the splines of the hub certainly engage the splines on the shaft. The splined thrust washer goes on first, then the splined hub, then next what I'm calling the bronze collar which is splined, but those splines do not engage the shaft splines. That collar could be considered a washer, but as a washer, its "hole" is very large compared to the size of the nut.
And the thrust washer was specific to the motor, at least, it's the one Solas said it should be.

​I'll get the photos on in the morning

ggray

Seaman
No Title

OK. Had to resize photos,and here they are.
As I see it, the SS washer (not shown) is needed.

Attachments

• photo230126.JPG
    photo230126.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230127.JPG
    photo230127.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I hate to say it but that bronze washer looks very thick, too thick--almost as if it is the thrust washer for that prop. Please post a couple of photos of the back of the prop while off the shaft and the existing thrust washer and prop shaft.

ggray

Seaman
Thanks, and I wasn't ignoring your post, but I've been out of town.

I can take some more pictures, but I think you have told me enough. The new propeller came with all new components. New thrust washer, rubber bushing, and the SS washer. The bronze washer came separately, but was specific to my motor. And all parts were installed per instructions and pictures on the box.

I need to put more pressure on Solas to find or modify a bronze washer that has the right dimensions. I'm guessing that they sort of cobble together existing components to make props fit whatever motor you have.