196? Johnson 6 hp (Olive green) Original prop or best choice ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi, 196? late or 197? early 6 HP Jonhson. (Olive green) Would "pro's on this board know the prefered prop for this engine since it will be pushing a 12 footer alu Lund deluxe with no more than 2 adults onboard ? thank you all.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would that prop be a through or non through hub exhaust prop ?

Happy Boating

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It would be a non through hub prop. the original prop was a 2 blades prop, don,t know pitch ... got stolen. If I am going to buy a new one I would like to optimize. tx

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is that original paint.I'm thinking green isn't a 6 hp. A picture would help or model number off the mounting bracket under the front of the motor.
​ the standard prop should work.
Look up props here at iboats select a 7 1/4" pitch as a starting point.
The full size 12 foot aluminum is a perfect boat for a 6 hp.Not great if we're talking about 2 250 lb guys.

Last edited:

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Johnson were painted both olive green and forest green somewhere between 1968 and 1971 . Did check Iboat, I can't beleve the price of the little 2 blade prop :confused:

tx

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Johnson were painted both olive green and forest green somewhere between 1968 and 1971 . Did check Iboat, I can't beleve the price of the little 2 blade prop :confused:

tx
The last green Johnson was in 1955 5.5 hp. Basically all 6 hp were a white cowl with a dark charcoal/gray leg.
​ I think we need a picture or a model number possibly off the mount bracket.
It does appear the props are the same 66-79.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Steelspike: You'r right, probably my description error, It might then be an Evinrude 6 hp, It's a the fishing camp at the moment so I dont have visual access at this time. Cowling is white, rest is green.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It would make shopping easier if I knew what was the original 2 blades prop pitch that was installed when those (late 60's or early 70's) 6 hp were new. Anybody knows ? tx

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can say with absolute certainty, that I have a '76 40HP Johnson outboard and it was green with a basic white cowling with red and black additional colors on the cowl. And that was factory colors as well according to the shop manual.