Prop identification

cutlassrg

Recruit
Just acquired a 55 Johnson military/commercial motor, had it checked at marine shop and service tech said I should consider a smaller pitch prop. How can I identify what prop is on the motor? only markings on hub are 2958.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Do we know the hp?I'm guessing no more than 25 hp.Pictures would be good to have
Do we know the gear ratio?Do we know what boat it is going on?I'm guessing intended for a heavy application,may have an oversized prop.

cutlassrg

Recruit
55 hp. no idea of gear ratio however gearfoot is HUGE believe 4 1/4 dia. These were the Zodiac motors for USMC, when in service they had waterjet drive not props. Prop apparently shipped to usmc with prop but switched out until now and prop put back on

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
55 hp. no idea of gear ratio however gearfoot is HUGE believe 4 1/4 dia. These were the Zodiac motors for USMC, when in service they had waterjet drive not props. Prop apparently shipped to usmc with prop but switched out until now and prop put back on
So 55 was the hp not the year.The 55 was available in a commercial with a large gear case,

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the service guy told you to lower the pitch , a follow up questions should have been what prop does he recommend?

cutlassrg

Recruit
suggested 17 to 19 pitch. I think I have figured it out. Michigan wheel 14 x 17" cupped. cupped should give me 19" pitch for top end and the 17 acceleration. The boat is a 1983 bass attacker by sea nymph 16'6" aluminum hull semi V bow, empty 600 lbs, plus engine, some chubby butts, gear,fuel etc. best guess
, on the water probably about 1100 lbs. comments, suggestions greatly appreciated.
For info; finally figured out what prop is on it. full military zodiac prop, 12 3/4 x 23" zodiac is 15' but ONLY 350 lbs empty