Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok to leave pontoon on lakebed for winter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to leave pontoon on lakebed for winter?

We keep the pontoon in a covered boat dock. During the winter the TVA drops the level of the lakes and the boat dock will spend the winter resting on the lakebed. Instead of getting the boat out on a trailer and have it sit in the yard all winter, is there any likelihood of causing damage to the pontoons by leaving them on the dried up lakebed until the water comes back up??

not sure where you are, however I know that the ice shoves in WI on lake Winnebago make the news every year when they smash stuff near the shore.

I wouldnt leave it there.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

There are many variables here, so it's hard to say. But you may want to consider the condition of the lakebed it would be resting on, and how fast the water level changes. You wouldn't want to have it stuck so hard that it would not release before the water level rises significantly. Do other people on your lake do this successfully?

Comment

What is the condition lake bed under the dock? Rocky, I wouldn't do it. Soft mud or sand - Maybe. Like asked above - Are other toons sitting on the bottom all winter? I kinda doubt ice will an issue, these lakes are dropped long before freezing temps and the spring raising is after temps are going up. Also, the level changes are fairly gradual.

Welcome aboard, Hordack.
        BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
        Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

One of my uncles is also on one of the tva bucket lake around danville tn and he has done it both ways
          Bad Dog

If it aint broke your not having enough fun

my 1988 Riviera Cruzer pontoon rebuild
          https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=526820

my pontoon trailer rebuild

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...railer-rebuild

Comment

The lake bed is soft and I am in TN. Some people do leaving it there. Some people have the boat lifts at the dock and it rest on the them on the lake bed.

My main concern would be freezing and expansion of any moisture damaging the boat.

Comment

Is the exposed lake bed pretty dry during the draw down? Our COE lakes go through the same thing and the shallows around docks are high and dry for the most part.
              BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
              Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
              That is what the forums are for.
              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

The only problems are see is rocks , stumps and water freezing in the water pump inlets after you have raised the motor all the way up. Other than that I would leave it if you are sure the water is coming back up. Boats here have been stranded for years during droughts

Comment

I think that if you have to ask, then you already have your answer. Pull it out and ease your mind.No sense of worrying
                  about it all winter. Something always happens when it is the worst weather and you can do the least to remedy the
                  problem. "I wish I had pulled it" doesn't pay the bills when you have a repair to do. Good luck, John

Comment

Might be worth grabbing some of those blocks and set those on the lakebed and put the pontoon on those. They arent expensive and would add a little peice of mind.

Comment

Remember the pontoons are evenly supported all over in the water and may not be on the dry riverbed. But otherwise don’t see why it wouldn’t be OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X