Pontoon Diameter Data

vulcan213

Recruit
I am in the market for a used pontoon boat and want one with large diameter pontoons. However, have not been able to obtain this information for most boat brands. I would like to narrow my search to brands with larger diameters. Does anyone know of a pontoon data list by brand and year that can be obtained online?

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon Diameter Data

Really haven't seen a webpage that lists all the diameters. Many manufactures have optional sizes, oval, U, and performance that's its hard to keep track. The standard seems to be 25" now and IMO is plenty and you hit a wall of diminishing returns as you would have more flotation avalible than you could comfortably fit people on board. I've seen 27" round and oval 32" toons claiming more speed or better handling but I'd take a straked 23-25" toon anyday over those options unless your looking to use it as a work barge.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Suntracker Regencys have 26 inch toons. Mine even has lifting strakes.

I would very highly recommend lifting strakes. Very. They give a huge boost in speed AND fuel economy.

vulcan213

Recruit

Thanks for the quick responses. I admit to being biased (rightly or wrongly) toward larger pontoons after watching a 24 footer make a turn on what looked to be small diameter pontoons. The pontoon on the outside of the turn almost went under water and with just a little wave action I believe water would have washed on deck...and there were only three people on the boat.

You are absolutely correct about the variations and options! Great thought as well about the lifting strakes. Will keep that in mind.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is an '83 model and has 23 inch toons. I wouldn't go any less than that. I used to have a 28 footer with 19 inch toons that you had to go to the airport to turn around. Depending on what "used" means, you won't find strakes on the older models.

My general advice to anyone buying a pontoon boat is to decide what you want it to do such as water sports etc. If you want water sports, then search these forums for anything you can find on: speed, turning, lifting strakes, pontoon water glide, more horse power etc. It has been talked about more than once. I've got 5 years into one and finally got it right.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The specification information on nearly every pontoon boat will indicate the tube diameter. Go to the web site for the pontoons you are interested in and check the specs in the brochure.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

First you've got to decide on a budget. Then, you've got to decide on what your usage is going to be.

Most late model toons are 25". They work better when teamed with 115 hp or preferably 150 hp and a set of lifting strakes. If you can get the nosecones out of the water, you can get better fuel economy and 5 mph or more faster.

If you're going to be pulling tubers or skiers, three toons are preferable. All two toon boats handle like pigs--the truth. And three tubes handle larger crowds.

Always go for the largest motor you can afford--or the maximum the boat is rated for.

If you find a boat you're interested in, join pontoonforums.com and run it past the guys. They live and breathe pontoons/tritoons and really know their stuff.

I had a Starcraft two toon 24' boat for 27 years, and switched to a Bennington 24SSLX last year with a Yamaha F150 and tritoons. I'm good for 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's with a 15 pitch Reliance stainless steel prop. My boat will do anything I need it to do.