Need some DIY Ideas for Pontoon Boat !

Hi Iboaters!

Im new here and love it already !

I recently bought a pontoon from a buddy of mine and have done alot of work to it so far (bet youv'e never heard that before.)

I replaced the floor and carpet , bought brand new seats and console , rewired pretty painted the sides and plan to do some other things Repaint pontoon bottoms.

I replaced the radio , and made some 6 inch speaker pods so that I could have sounds right on the water while floating around in the lake ! They are also removable so I can bring them in the house and don't have to worry about someone running off with them.

I'm looking for some cool DYI ideas or gadgets that have made your pontooning experience a little better ! I've read some previous threads and saw some cool ideas (potties , etc.) but just want to see if there is anything new ! I'm am a pretty handy guy and like to build/make things, Would love some DIY ideas !

Thanks again ! Speaker Pod Postions.JPGPVC Speaker Pod Cap.jpg

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need some DIY Ideas for Pontoon Boat !

I saw a picture the other day of a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat bolted to the top.

The info on your boat is pretty guarded, so it'll be hard to help you without some details to your boat, motor, etc.

I certainly hope you put marine grade plywood on your boat. Otherwise, you'll have to keep it inside and dry for the future. Regular plywood simply will rot in 5 years or earlier.

One great thing that improves performance and ride is putting aluminum sheets under your cross struts--between the toons. When you hit a wave or when planed off, the water doesn't hit the underside of the cross struts and slow you down. The boat also runs much quieter up on the deck.

Many people don't like having to clean toilets. That's what Old Hickory and Percy Priest are for--jumping in when the need arises.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a 3.5 gallon per minute, 45psi motorhome water pump off the bargain table. Ran a feed hose to the motor pod, and attached a hose bib to the seat supports. I have an easy way to wash down the inside of the boat, and better yet, when the water fights start I have a water gun that never runs out!!!

Good Luck, and have fun!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If you look at some of the posted threads in signatures you will see some of the rebuilds people have done.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Allot of people use patio umbrellas as a cheaper alternative to a bimini top

Thanks Bamaman - Although BAMA is a cuss word in our house ! hahaha Yes we used marine ply when we did the floors - You are very correct about not liking cleaning the toliet , but ohh the things we do to please the wife !

And we plan to boat on priest and Old Hickory this summer !
Thanks for the input !

Sorry about the details, I'm new to this . We have an old 94 88 Johnson , new bimini top and realized I will need somewhere to store my fishing poles. I dont have any space under the seats because they are the plastic ones , unless I cut out the sidewalls and don't think that's a good idea. I've seen a couple ideas on here but nothing that is removable , for when we have the kids , dogs, and riders with us.
I'll think of something, my creative juices just aren't flowing very good in this cold weather !

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

some fishing edition pontoons have front storage lockers for fishing. I have a set I'm going to be selling soon, too bad your not local.