Pontoon Flooring / Decking -- Alternatives to Carpet

MattinTally

Seaman
OK.... trying to go cheap on an UGLY boat from 1987....

Instead of carpet or vinyl flooring..... how about using white-colored rolled roofing material - the kind you apply with a propane torch.... 3' wide, so I'd have to use 3 rolls to cover a 24x8 boat.

The good news is its $33/roll and I wouldn't have to purchase any extra sealers, primers, or glues.... And no carpet to clean or sweep. The rolled roofing is rated for 10 years. Using white would be much cooler than black, and I can always get a cheap throw rug to take on/off the boat when its parked (outside in an open field, exposed to sun everyday).

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon Flooring / Decking -- Alternatives to Carpet

Its not rated to be walked on.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Maybe look into that garage floor paint, your boat is about the size of a one stall garage so it should be pretty cheap and it is made to be abused and is non skid so it should work pretty well on a boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

About only other covering that'd work might be spray on bed liner intended for pickup trucks. They're using it in many industrial applications.

realjet

Cadet

I used "Glidden Porch & Floor Polyurethane Oil Gloss" I picked up at Home Depot for $25 a gallon. Also at Home Depot you can get some "sand" that is used for sand blasting and sprinkle it on before it drys. I gave it two coats.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you post some pictures?

I need to replace mine and looking at alternatives. I'm looking at lowes outdoor carpet but yours sounds interesting

realjet

Cadet

Could you post some pictures?

I need to replace mine and looking at alternatives. I'm looking at lowes outdoor carpet but yours sounds interesting

Here's some picsIMAG0517.jpgIMAG0518.jpg

Kamcoman

Cadet

Unless the "garage floor" paint has UV inhibitors it will not last in the sun. Most heavy duty garage floor paint is epoxy; great stuff if UV protected, won't last if not.

Keith

Trktrd

Cadet

I went to a carpet remnant store and while sifting through the dregs found a big enough piece of actual marine grade carpet big enough for my 18 and bought it for next to nothing. (about 80% savings if I remember correctly). Same thing when I redid the seats, remnants. Takes a little leg work but you'll be surprised what you can find.