Pontoon boat cover or cap from pvc?

bbells

Cadet
I live on a lake and it was really a pain to snap on and off my boat cover. Half the time it collapsed in the middle. After the first cover ripped and died we switched over to velcroing a heavy duty tarp to the boat. That actually worked better.

But, I was wondering if anyone tried to make a 'cap' out of pvc and covered with a tarp that would set over the top of the boat. Then when the boat is to be used, 1 person could simply grab each end and lift it off and set it on shore. It would need to be bungeed down, of course. Just thought I would check and see if anyone has done this before starting the project. FYI: A lift with a canopy is out of the question on my lake.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon boat cover or cap from pvc?

Just Maybe, you can buy most of what you're looking for as pre manufactured portable carport. I think HD and Lowes sell them. They are made from PVC pipe with a plastic tarp like cover. Just don't install the legs or maybe cut them short and you're good to go.

bbells

Cadet

Do you think a cap like this would work? Or, am I using defective logic here? Thanks!

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bbells, sent you a PM. regards, old jim

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I guess this might depend on where you live. How bad the wind gets and such. If the thing blew off what damage would it do?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm having the same idea for my pontoon. I have made a canopy roof for my deck using pvc and covering with a tarp. also an arched carport, like half a quonset. I measure and cut, put together with self drilling screws so I can dissassemble to use glue after my plan comes together. heat gun can be used to bend pvc, just go slow, and experiment.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would be really interested in this as well. If someone has done this I'd like to see some pictures if possible.

George_NJ

Recruit

I did this about 5 years ago. I used 1" pvc for a pitched frame,tied a tarp to it. It covered 10'X24'. In theory it worked, but was too heavy, flimsey & clumsy to last beyond oneseason. The winters snow did it in. It wasn't worth it in my opinion after trying it.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used an old hard top frame wrapped in a tarp for a while. It only covered 1/2 the boat so I used a second over sized tarp and a couple of support poles up front to make up the difference. The frame is light enough for me to get under, lift, and slide off by myself. No problems with several inches of snow or heavy rain. If I could come up with a second frame to cover the front it would be perfect. Right now I use my bimini in the radar position to support a huge 20X 30 ft tarp that I pull tight and bungee down. This creates a steep slope that rain runs right off of and wind can't get under it. I'll switch back to the hard top in the winter for snow protection.