Plaining Problem / Whale Tail

paul.fargo

Recruit
I have a 2011 Benington 21 ft pontoon with a 50 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, when going at a slower rate of speed and full negative tilt the boat rides at a 15 degree angle at higher rates of speed it will trim out and run flat on the water. I have been told to put a whale tail on and this should lift the boat at the lower rate of speed, I would need to lift the boat about six inches in the back. In talking with several dealers they are split on the issue, anyone had any experience with a whale tail?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plaining Problem / Whale Tail

Is the boat at 15 degrees when sitting?
What speed is this? The tail might help though I don't know if I would want all that strain on the anti vent plate.
Also I think on a toon it would further slow the boat.They don't cost much and the holes left be hind if you remove it
usually don't cause trouble.
Have you played with the trim? Perhaps a neutral setting would help.
Any weight you could move forward?
A 4 blade prop has stern lift how effective would depend on how fast your going.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Really the only way to tell if it will help is to try one, smart tabs are the way to go with a conventional hull but you can't mount them to a pontoon tube so the tail is really your only option.

I swear by them and have run one for years BUT, I havea v hull boat and it works on my boat the way I have it set up, on the same hull with a different weight distribution or set up it may not work as well.

This is a real hot topic issue here which, as you geussed, is split, aot of guys say they aren't worthy of throwing in the trash and others like me swear by them but the only way to tell if it will work on your boat is to try one.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I doubt that tail would help you at all. Maybe if you had more power, but I don't think a 50 hp has enough power to give you much bow lift.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

FYI, there is a brand of "whale tail" that requires no drilling. I forget the name, but I saw it at Cabela's. You need to buy two components. One is the drill-less mounting bracket, the other is the tail itself (sized for application). If you can't sus out this info, and are interested, I will have access to it (and perhaps a few pictures) this weekend.