Protecting new pontoon boat in salty water

strendic

Recruit
Hello to all:

Just purchased a brand new bennington pontoon boat. It will be used in salty chesapeake bay waters.

Researching how best to protect the aluminum toons and aluminum frame under structure before I launch the boat for the frist time. Going with the boat lift when all related costs are added is expensive (permits, pilings, etc).

If I decided to paint the toon and under structure what is the best prep approach, primer and paint to use? How long would the application last if boat is kept in the salty water all summer? How often does it need re-paining?

Love to learn from your won experience. Suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you,

Bo from Ocean City, Maryland

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Protecting new pontoon boat in salty water

My first reply didn't go thru so I'll try again.
The first thing I would do is ask Bennington and then go from there.

strendic

Recruit

Thank you.

That was my first step. I did buy their "saltwater series" model. Bennington team suggested I check with marine I purchased the boat from.

The best thing to do is to go with the "boat lift". I am being told that paint job is only good if the prep is done right. First year application on bare toons is expensive.

Engreps

Seaman Apprentice

Same prep as painting an airplane. The tunes have a protective coating on themthat would have to be sanded off. Then painted with Zinc Oxide as a primer. That need to be used so the paint will stay on a not peal off.

If it is going to be lift stored then after each time it is used wash it down with soap and water. That would be a hell of a lot easier than keeping up the painted toons.

strendic

Recruit

Thanks Engraps,

Good advice. In the process of getting estimates for the lift job now. Have a great summer!

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Treat all aluminum on the boat with sharkhide sealant...amazing stuff. Don't forget to flush your system with fresh water after use or every week or so. Rinse the boat with fresh water as well to keep the salt from corroding.