Advantage of Lift or Hoist for Pontoon

mbleph

Recruit
I am new to the world of boating. I purchased a 22 foot Harris Flote bote. I know that I will want a canopy but am still undecided if I should go the extra cost for a hoist. My area of the lake is calm as it is in a cove. Any thoughts of advantages and type of lift you would or would not purchase.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advantage of Lift or Hoist for Pontoon

A lift obviously gets the boat out of the water so there is less tendency to develop the dark water line stain on the tubes and less chance of algae build-up. It also prevents the boat from hitting the dock when moored. Whether or not you have a lift is purely personal.

Jeep Man

Commander

I dock mine at the end of a very sheltered bay on a very clean lake. No waves and very little algea. Consequently, no need for a lift. A cousin has a toon on the same lake but is subject to a lot of waves from passing boats. They had a lift installed to keep the boat from being banged around. It is going to depend on your location and situation.

harpo79

Recruit

Where is the boat located? I have a tri-toon 24' Preimeer that I use on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I keep it on a lift made by hydrohoist http://www.boatlift.com/index.cfm?id=3&catID=13 I find it a very good lift. also handy if you need to work on boat while its in the water.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Where is the boat located? I have a tri-toon 24' Preimeer that I use on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I keep it on a lift made by hydrohoist http://www.boatlift.com/index.cfm?id=3&catID=13 I find it a very good lift. also handy if you need to work on boat while its in the water.

After seeing that stuff I'm glad I bought a trailer for my 24 ft Pontoon boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, but your description is a little brief. More details will get you better answers.

Name of your lake?
Are there any regulatory agencies to deal with on permits, etc.?
What kind of lifts/boathouses do your neighbors use?
Does your lake's water level go up and down?
Do you already have a dock?
What is the bottom of your property like? Rock? Mud?
Water Depth at front of boat and at rear of boat?

For example, My lake only goes up and down 2' per year, and my boat dock is on a rock bottom ledge. All my neighbors have steel framed boathouses sitting on 6 to 8 4" steel pipes driven down to bedrock (42" average depth.) Water is 2' deep at the front of my boat and 6 1/2' at the rear. We are permitted through TVA and the Corps. of Engineers--both are reasonable to deal with. Most boats are sitting on a steel frame which is hanging by 1/4" steel cable through pulleys, and Ace type 3/4 hp lifts. V hull boats often use 4" nylon slings instead of steel frames under them.