Pontoon tube painting

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello
Looking buying our first pontoon. All seems good to go so far. Seller says the pontoons need to be repainted.
I thought in my readings that once the pontoons are painted they need to stay painted ? Is my recall right or off ?
If so how often on average do they need to be painted ? Yearly, 5 years etc.
And is that expensive to either do yourself or have done ?

THanks
Mark

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pontoon tube painting

The paint is purely cosmetic. Once painted, removing it would be a bear! The reason, that they were painted in the first place, is probably because the tubes were ugly. So we'd be painting once again anyways.

I paint my tubes every 2-3 years. Plain Rustolium silver or comparable. Keeps them nice and fresh looking.

Jeep Man

Commander

If the boat was used in salt water frequently, painting would be necessary. If so, check for corrosion everywhere.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

My pontoon was painted/treaded years ago (1967 riveria cruiser) from the factory, I am assuming it saw salt water back in the day, but it was rough when i got it. It took a lot of sanding, and cleaning, and I was careful when I recoated em.
So to kinda answer your ? they dont have to stay painted, but it would be a pain to strip it, while on the subject I wonder how a heat gun would do on toons? Here are some before and after pics
P1090180.jpgP1090282.jpg

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

If you leave your boat in the water they need to be painted. If you launch it all the time and not in salt water they don't. Repainting properly is a 3 day job. Prep, prime with Epoxy primer, then paint with aluminum bottom paint. It is a DIY project but do it right if you want the toons to last. And don't forget the zinc plates especially if left in the water.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure if it would be left in the water. If we could find a inexpensive docking situation then definitely would. Otherwise trailered and launched. If wifey has here way every weekend we would be out on it. And 99.9 % of the time it would be out in the Gulf of Mexico so saltwater it would be.

Thanks to all for the info
Mark

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,
I think I remember you about looking for a toon. Glad to hear you found one. I have a dock on 50 for $40 a month. Can't beat that price around here. Docking makes the boat more accessible for those hour or two trips. If you end up trailering remember the bunks on your trailer will be salty so I would paint the toons even then. Electrolysis is the problem as it eats aluminum. I have a good painter if you need him PM me and I'll get you his contact information. It cost me $500 for the paint job. Excellent job.