pontoon tow bar?

nasherfish22

Recruit
i am having a custom tow bar made for m 22ft 96 crestII do i have it made to bolt through the transom or do i bolt through the beams and or deck or both please help new to pontooning and a little confused thank you

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: pontoon tow bar?

That's what I need for my pontoon boat. I want to use it for my rear anchor. It's to hard try to reach my rear cleats.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

tow bars have an enormous amount of force on them so if you can get it in front of a cross member and go clear down to the motor pan and attach it really well there, you at least want it bolted to to several cross members with rear facing braces.

Have you looked into something like this http://www.iboats.com/Seadog-Transo...05700594--**********.113181529--view_id.39715

Easy to install and it will work fine.

Maybe call Crest and see if they can retro fit one to your boat then it would be designed for your baot and you know it would work.

I have seen 6'' diameter 1/2'' wall alumiunm tow poles that were bent so it woud be pretty hard to design your own and have it work and you could really jack up your boat or hurt someone if your design failed.

If you are dead set on doing this make sure you bolt through at least 2 sets of cross member, just going through the deck and it would rip off the first time you used it, again you are dealing with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of force here.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where exactly would you mount the Seadog Transom Mount??? With the motor being in front of your transom, do you just mount it on the side near a crossmember???

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Anywhere on the back is fine, just make sure you hook a cross member, probably best if it is close to the bolts so it is as strong as possible.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

5150, what are your thoughts on using the pontoon eyes for towing tubers? I will say that I don't tow tubers very often, but have never noticed any damage from it using the "Y" harness.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't like it, the eyes are really stout but they are welded to the end caps which are only .080, as long as you keep the pull as straight as possible it will probably be okay, it is cross loading them that will bend them and possibly cause a leak.

goldnrod24

Cadet

I don't like it, the eyes are really stout but they are welded to the end caps which are only .080, as long as you keep the pull as straight as possible it will probably be okay, it is cross loading them that will bend them and possibly cause a leak.

So then, what's your take on using these eyes to tie down to a trailer? It seems there's cross loading there, too.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would just go to your local welder and ask him to make you up one. Make the configurations and write out the dimensions for him to make sure you get them lined with the crossmembers. This way you'll be sure your rope is up and out of the water and really it wont cost you a lot.... I know a welder close to me that would make me one for under $100.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That can bend them to, it happens at work now and then, it is just that the metal that they are welded to is pretty thin, it does what it is suppose to very well but isn't indestructable.

We use the eyes to load tha boats so they will take a tremendous load but in a straight pull.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably a simple question, but what do you mean by the pontoon eyes??? I think I may have a clue but i'm not 100%

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

OOhhh ok mine doesnt have these, i'm pretty sure mine just has handles in the same general location.