Change Pontoon to Tritoon?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Change Pontoon to Tritoon?

Hydrodynamics are kinda funny, maybe the set back will do it for you, should get it in cleaner water anyhow although they are a little heavy.

I have a CMC TT on mine and about crapped when I lifted the box, it is alot of aluminum.

Have you looked under the boat while under way to see what it is doing, maybe add different splash gaurds..

I will bet the bow wake is slowly moving down the tubes and the trough hits the motor right at 30 so if you change how the water comes off the tubes you may be able to get rid of this, just a thought.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Change Pontoon to Tritoon?

I think you are right on about the trough hitting the motor at 30 mph. I've thought about all sorts of fixes from a flat fin type attachment on the rear of the center tube to trying to scab some trim tabs onto it. Look ten feet behind one of your pontoons at speed, look at the trough it makes and then think about trying to smooth that out so the engine can run through it. The motor holds on good right to 30 mph and will bite again if you trim it ALL the way down, so it is close. I hate the torque steer with the motor all the way down so I need to fix that. The jackplate popped up at the right price so I will try it for a while. I can do a lot of moving around with it and if it doesn't help I can get my money back from a bassboat guy.

You are also right about the heft of this thing. It is NOT a couple of pieces of angle iron bolted together, it is heavy angle with 5/8 inch bolts. This one is rated for 300 HP V6 motors.

My point in all this is for anyone considering this addition to their 2 tube boat. Get enough center tube to modify it and add a transom, or buy a tube with a transom built in. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle later on.