2005 Suntracker 25 Partybarge Speed

somoney

Recruit
I recenty purchased a 25' suntracker partybarge regency with a 115 hp Mercury Optimax outboard. I used GPS to get my max WOT 5700rpm speed of 19 MPH. I have read through everythread on this site and it seem I should be doing better the 19 MPH. I looked at the prop that came on the boat and I cant read what size it is because there is build up on it.

My question is should I be doing better than 19 MPH? If so what size prop should I be using? I was thinking of a 14x13. Should I get a cupped blade?

This is my first boat and I am kind of learning as I go.

Thanks.

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2005 Suntracker 25 Partybarge Speed

this is what I found:
Top speed for the Sun Tracker Party Barge 25 Regency Edition is 36.2 MPH (58.3 KPH), burning 9.9 gallons per hour (GPH) or 37.47 liters per hour (LPH).

that being said- something is wrong. you said build up... what build up? any fouling on the prop will cause a great decrease in performance. I would take the prop to a prop shop 9or send it in) to be cleaned and rebuilt. probably solve your problem and save you money...

somoney

Recruit

Wow...is that info available somewhere? I just checked the prop and it is a 13 inch. It has ssome scum on it and i was able to rub it off to read the size. I should add that it is a 2 stroke 115 and the boat only has 2 toons.

Jeep Man

Commander

Don't change to a different prop yet. Your WOT rpm is about right. I feel a 14x13 would put the motor out of the ideal range. Clean your pontoons if you have build-up and have a prop shop check, clean and adjust if necessary. Then go from there. I agree, 19 mph seems low with that motor. I do that and a little more with a 60 hp Bigfoot. Granted, my Party Barge is only a 20'. How many passengers were on board when you did a speed check?

somoney

Recruit

I had 5 adults. Will be pulling it out soon anyways. Can I loose that much speed from dirty pontoons?

johnny470

Cadet

yes you can. My old 1989 partybarge with a 90 hp would run 23 mhp with clean toons

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First make sure you average the speed in opposite directions to counter the effects of wind and current.

Don't change your prop.

Clean your toons and then your max speed will be what ever it is....

brumbyvet

Seaman Apprentice

this is what I found:
Top speed for the Sun Tracker Party Barge 25 Regency Edition is 36.2 MPH (58.3 KPH), burning 9.9 gallons per hour (GPH) or 37.47 liters per hour (LPH).

that being said- something is wrong. you said build up... what build up? any fouling on the prop will cause a great decrease in performance. I would take the prop to a prop shop 9or send it in) to be cleaned and rebuilt. probably solve your problem and save you money...

There is no way a two toon PB 25 is going to run 36 mph unless it has NV Strakes and a motor larger then a 115. I would guess low 20's.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 for brumbyvet...... Yep... No way.................

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Whatever the top speed should be, I think we all agree 19 mph ain't it. You mentioned getting ready to pull the boat out. Has it been in the water for a long time? Barges that sit in the water get gunk all over the toons. You would be amazed how much that slows them down. Another thing to check for is leaky toons. Seems unlikely for a 2005, but stranger things have happened, and Tracker toons are known for that. It's easy to diagnose and repair. When you trailer the boat just give her a good shake and listen for the telltale sloshing. Let us know what you find. Good luck and welcome aboard.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go on the net and type in Pontoon Boat Tests and you will find a boating magazine with dozens of pontoon test articles.
19 mph is slow.

Jeep Man

Commander

Whatever the top speed should be, I think we all agree 19 mph ain't it. You mentioned getting ready to pull the boat out. Has it been in the water for a long time? Barges that sit in the water get gunk all over the toons. You would be amazed how much that slows them down. Another thing to check for is leaky toons. Seems unlikely for a 2005, but stranger things have happened, and Tracker toons are known for that. It's easy to diagnose and repair. When you trailer the boat just give her a good shake and listen for the telltale sloshing. Let us know what you find. Good luck and welcome aboard.

I don't want to open up a can of worms here or hijack this thread either, but I'm getting a little tired of the brand bashing here. I have been here for 2 years and did much research on different brands, pros and cons etc. and nowhere did I see or heard of Tracker pontoons being prone to leaking. All I have heard is that they are considered an entry level unit. I have had no problem with mine. I find that the pontoons are as good as any other model and better than some. Mine is a Regency model and I see no problem with the fit, finish and performance. Sure, it's not a Bennington but it suits me fine and it didn't set me back 50K, which is what a Benny would run this side of the border.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Just another data point:

Recently went from a 13x11 to a 13x13 and got an extra MPH or two (more importantly I brought down my RPMs). Top speed is now around 21 MPH (GPS).

PS. My Lowe is a 20 footer and my motor is an 1993 Evinrude 50HP 2-cycle.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the key here is the "stuff" on the prop. It is a safe assumption that if you've got stuff on the prop you also have it on the tubes which will slow you down considerably. Clean the tubes when you pull it out and it will pick up some speed.

Jeep man, don't get me wrong, I love Tracker boats and would never hesitate to own another one. Having said that I have to say that my 1998 20 footer and my buddies identical boat were both fixed at about 4 years old for leaky logs. The dealer who did the repairs blamed the dealer who sold the boats for setting them up on the trailers wrong. However it happened they got cracked welds and leaked. We were treated very well by Tracker Inc., who found us a nearby dealer to fix the boats after the original dealer dropped the Tracker line to pick up a go-fast line, and by the new dealer who fixed both boats quickly and completely. Both boats are still in service and not leaking today.

I also agree that no 25 footer is running high 30 MPHs without a peformance package hull and more than 115 of HP.

somoney, I think your boat will hit mid 20's with that prop and clean logs. If you clean the logs and the RPM's climb any at all you can probably go to a 15p prop and gain a couple MPH. I always try to keep my motor propped to the high side of 5500 with a full load. My max recommended RPM is 5500. If I read everything right you are at 5700 with a full load and dirty logs. If any of that changes you can add some pitch, keep the RPMs you need and maybe gain some MPH. I notice you have an opti and I don't know the rpm range for it, keep to the high side of the recommended range when all is said and done.

PS I love those DI 2 strokes, you get the best of 3 worlds, fuel injection efficiency and 2 stroke power in a lighter package. Good luck and with clean logs I don't think you are far from where you want to be.

Last edited:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't know where GPG got that number but it seems insanly high, they could have gotten that but it would takle a really big engine, a 250 at least, we have had boats run 57 but they were brand new and wearing a 300 V-Max.

You prop a boat for RPM and the speed falls where it does, it isn't like a car where you can change gears, if you go to a bigger prop for more speed you aill drag down your RPM and it sounds like you are right where you want o be with that.

That speed number was porobably gotten with one person on board also, every person you add to the boat is weight and weight will slow you down.

It sounds like your engine is running well so cleaning the tubes and prop is all you can do, the quest for speed is never ending but in the end she will give you what she has and that is all.

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice

There is no way a two toon PB 25 is going to run 36 mph unless it has NV Strakes and a motor larger then a 115. I would guess low 20's.

it is on thier web site... 1 person probably and little fuel

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

this is what I found:

That was with an Optimax 135 HP. That is believeable if conditions are right.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I don't want to open up a can of worms here or hijack this thread either, but I'm getting a little tired of the brand bashing here. I have been here for 2 years and did much research on different brands, pros and cons etc. and nowhere did I see or heard of Tracker pontoons being prone to leaking. All I have heard is that they are considered an entry level unit. I have had no problem with mine. I find that the pontoons are as good as any other model and better than some. Mine is a Regency model and I see no problem with the fit, finish and performance. Sure, it's not a Bennington but it suits me fine and it didn't set me back 50K, which is what a Benny would run this side of the border.

Take a look at the boat in my sig and then reconsider whether you think I'm brand bashing. My family and I thoroughly enjoy our Suntracker barge. However, it is widely accepted that Tracker builds their boats to sell, and to argue otherwise would be disingenuous. That's why they're offered at significantly lower price points. It is also widely accepted that Tracker toons have a history of developing leaks, a fact to which many Tracker owners, myself included, can attest. It's not a catastrophe, nor is it brand bashing, but it is a fact that bears mentioning within the context of this conversation, hence my advice to the OP to check for sloshing. No offense intended.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it is on thier web site... 1 person probably and little fuel

Would someone post the actual website of this review? I went to the Tracker website and can't find it.

starnesc

Recruit

I have a 2005 Suntracker 24 with a 115 Johnson 2 stroke. I have had it out twice, once with 8 people and second with 4 people. Both times I only could achieve 20mph GPS. I am running about 4800 WOT. Prop looks clean and the boat does not stay in the water. I guess I can try cleaning the toons a little. That is hard when it is on the trailer cause a good portion of what you want cleaned is sitting on the rails. I will continue to watch this thread.