2005 Suntracker 25 Partybarge Speed

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: 2005 Suntracker 25 Partybarge Speed

Do you know your recommended RPM range? 4800 at WOT might be a tad low.

starnesc

Recruit

Here are the specs on it.
Manufacturer: Johnson
Model: "OCEANPRO"
Year: 2001
Horsepower: 115.0
Cylinders: 4
Type: 2 stroke
Gear Ratio: 2.00:1
Min WOT RPM: 4500
Max WOT RPM: 5500
Spline Count: 13

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Okay, so 4800 is at the bottom of your WOT max. What kind of prop are you spinning? Is it the recommended one for your rig? If not, some prop experimentation may be in order. You can generally expect to gain around 200 RPMs for every one inch drop in pitch. There's a lot of useful info here on props. A simple keyword search will yield all you can stand.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 2005 Suntracker 24 with a 115 Johnson 2 stroke. I have had it out twice, once with 8 people and second with 4 people. Both times I only could achieve 20mph GPS. I am running about 4800 WOT. Prop looks clean and the boat does not stay in the water. I guess I can try cleaning the toons a little. That is hard when it is on the trailer cause a good portion of what you want cleaned is sitting on the rails. I will continue to watch this thread.

First, make sure you average your speed in opposite directions to counter the wind and current effects. Seems strange that you are running the some WOT RPM's with four or eight people unless the four you left on the shore were very skinny. LOL... Regardless, you need to drop your pitch size by 1 or 2 inches and make sure you have a pontoon-specific prop.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2007 24 ft Starcraft with a 90 hp two stroke Merc.. Holds 14, total weight it can carry is 2250. I haven't had more then four people in it at one time. I'd like to see 20 Mph once. I run it on the Chesapecke Bay. I trailer the boat, every thing is always clean ,the prop still looks new. Max wot is 5500 ,I have had it to 4800 a couple of times. It runs like a big brick in the water.The last time out I was running 10 mph in 45 mph winds and the tide was running against me in 4 ft swells.. I was running in 12 ft of water, out of the 40 ft channel. I'd love to see a day when the water was lake smooth.Two weeks ago as I was cutting across the Sasafrass River I hit a swell out of nowhere that put two dents in the skirting above the deck broke my door handle and we had a foot of water rushing across the deck. It's a good thing the boat is self bailing. I ordered Diamond Plate Alumn. to fit over the metal on the deck. I may get some for the door too.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 2007 24 ft Starcraft with a 90 hp two stroke Merc.. Holds 14, total weight it can carry is 2250. I haven't had more then four people in it at one time. I'd like to see 20 Mph once. I run it on the Chesapecke Bay. I trailer the boat, every thing is always clean ,the prop still looks new. Max wot is 5500 ,I have had it to 4800 a couple of times. It runs like a big brick in the water.The last time out I was running 10 mph in 45 mph winds and the tide was running against me in 4 ft swells.. I was running in 12 ft of water, out of the 40 ft channel. I'd love to see a day when the water was lake smooth.Two weeks ago as I was cutting across the Sasafrass River I hit a swell out of nowhere that put two dents in the skirting above the deck broke my door handle and we had a foot of water rushing across the deck. It's a good thing the boat is self bailing. I ordered Diamond Plate Alumn. to fit over the metal on the deck. I may get some for the door too.

No pontoon boat should experience 4 foot swells and 45 mph wind. It is a dangerous condition that could have resulted in more than a couple of dents.

Jeep Man

Commander

IMHO a pontoon boat isn't designed for those conditions. I would not enjoy a ride like that. The boss of a friend took his brand new 26' Crestliner with a 135 hp into Lake Erie and hit a wave like that. Both pontoons bent badly. Crestliner replaced it because they felt it should have held up, but just the same, it was pushing it.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both of the posters with their RPM's at wide open throttle on the low side of the recommended range and low top speeds, should prop the boats to get out to the high side of that RPM range. That is where you will get the best throttle response and speed from your boat.

starnesc

Recruit

Thanks for the responses. I will check my prop size and see what it is.

starnesc

Recruit

My prop has these numbers on it. 13 75X 15P Hope that means something to you guys.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

13.75 is your diameter and 15 is your pitch, so changing to a 13.75 (or 14)x13 should get you up to 5400 RPMs at WOT. That may or may not get you more speed though.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just for comparison we have a 20' Crestliner, with lots of "stuff" and only 2 people on board with a 90hp 2 stroke Johnson. Running 5000 RPM were getting 24 MPH. (for whatever that's worth):confused: