Shine up them toons

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shine up them toons

What can I say? I've used it for many years doing HVAC work & its always done a great job for me. My pontoon had sat in the water for an unknown number of years prior to me buying it & the water line & barrancle where really bad. I used the pink full strength & it cleaned them up really great. I also used it to clean all the cross members, the aluminum top support braces and the transom. I was very pleased with the results.

I suppose it's like asprin in that it doesn't always work for everyone. :confused:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I guess so, I used it full strength too. my pontoons weren't that dirty. Just some light oxidation up near the front,The rest was just faded.I'm going to try the new stuff tomorrow or Frday.Pictures will be next week.We don't have computer excess at Elkview shores or telephones either.Cell phones only work in one spot the rest of the park is a dead zone and we are only two miles from a telephone tower.

KStoon

Seaman

Like VaGent said. Diluted pink a/c coil cleaner. I gave it a scrub with a brown scotchbrite after it foamed a bit. I had to sand mine too. If a person doesn't have to sand you're better off. Then I used Nuvite polish. It may not be magic but it's pretty close........

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pink coil cleaner will NOT polish the logs but it will clean them really well. Once its applied & starting to foam a stiff brush & some scrubbing will remove 95% of all the scum on the logs. Then just rinse it off really well. It is not intended in any way to do anything other then remove the dirt & water line stains. Mine had barrancles on the inner sides of the logs which the coil cleaner took care of but there are stains left where every barrancle was attached. Those will have to be sanded in order to remove them. Other then those barrancle stains the PINK coil cleaner removed the water line & everything else entirely. I'm sure with some sanding I can get those removed too but I'm not worried about it at this time.

I just want to get the boat in the water & relax & enjoy it for a little while instead of WORKING on it. I've done a complete rebuild of a 1984 24ft JC pontoon. I've EARNED the right to enjoy it until winter time comes around. :)

nuboater

Seaman Apprentice

I just clean mine using cheap tire shine as per my Tracker technicians. .

I'm curious about what type tire shine you are using. Is this the spray on stuff that goes on like white foam and leaves tires shiney when it dries?
Thanks

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Sweetwater is a 2006 model.

Eric, when I was a kid I used to have a 6hp Wizard also.

Ken

2nd chance

Cadet

Boat Parts & Accessories Boat Covers Boat Propellers Boat Motor Parts Boats For Sale Boat Motors Boat Forums

Cleaning pontoon tube questions
iboats Boating Forums > General Boating/Outdoors Activities > Pontoons
Welcome, 2nd chance.
You last visited: Today at 08:29 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0.
My Replies

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Show Threads Show Posts
Advanced Search

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read

User Control Panel
Edit Signature

Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads

Who's Online

Go to Page...

Pontoon Boats
Pontoon Furniture
Pontoon Boat Manuals
Boat Covers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

#1 August 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM
cbavier
Lieutenant

Cleaning pontoon tube questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently bought a used pontoon that has scummy tubes. I am asking for help from the experts. I have three questions.

1- I have Starbright Hull cleaner with Oxalic acid. Will that clean the tubes and make them bright again?

2- Will it kill my Grass?

3- Will it harm the Aluminum?

Please answer all three questions if you can and thanks in advance.
50 Hp Two stroke

cbavier
View Public Profile
Send a private message to cbavier
Visit cbavier's homepage!
Find all posts by cbavier
Add cbavier to Your Contacts

#2 August 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM
lakegeorge
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Re: Cleaning pontoon tube questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should get your toon manual from the builder and see what they recommend. Godfrey recommends that you NOT remove the oxidation in their manual. There must be a reason for this.

Alot of people use acid and sand their logs, The logs are only .080 thick and you don't want to be removing any of the Aluminum.

lakegeorge
View Public Profile
Send a private message to lakegeorge
Find all posts by lakegeorge
Add lakegeorge to Your Contacts

#3 August 31st, 2010, 10:39 AM
EricJRW
Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't have any answers, but there is a similar longer thread with much discussion (and opinion) on this subject:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ighlight=shine

Oh, I do have an answer, sort of. One of the products used for pontoon cleaning is an air conditioner coil cleaner... It seems unlikely that it would kill the grass, since many A/C units are surrounded by grass.
My first foray into boating, all acquired June 2009 (so yeah, I'm still learning).

EricJRW
View Public Profile
Send a private message to EricJRW
Find all posts by EricJRW
Add EricJRW to Your Contacts

#4 August 31st, 2010, 11:05 AM
EGlideRider
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbavier
I recently bought a used pontoon that has scummy tubes. I am asking for help from the experts. I have three questions.

1- I have Starbright Hull cleaner with Oxalic acid. Will that clean the tubes and make them bright again?

Yes but the brightness will likely last less than a season.

2- Will it kill my Grass?

Yes unless you spray lots of water on it afterwards.

3- Will it harm the Aluminum?

It is an etchent so it will remove a small amount of aluminum.

Please answer all three questions if you can and thanks in advance.

Good luck. I gave up many years ago on having shiny toons. I keep them clean and smooth but don't worry about them being shiny.

EGlideRider
View Public Profile
Send a private message to EGlideRider
Find all posts by EGlideRider
Add EGlideRider to Your Contacts

#5 September 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Traceyh
Seaman

I just bought a pontoon this year that had sat in the river water for who knows how long, and had stuff growing on the bottom of the toons and engine.
Each time I take it out, after it has soaked in the water for a couple hours, i use a scotch brite pad on it just to remove whatever the grown on stuff is... each week I do just a little more. I am not looking for shiny, just smooth and clean.
I dont want to remove any aluminum.

Traceyh
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Traceyh
Find all posts by Traceyh
Add Traceyh to Your Contacts

#6 September 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
cbavier
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceyh
I just bought a pontoon this year that had sat in the river water for who knows how long, and had stuff growing on the bottom of the toons and engine.
Each time I take it out, after it has soaked in the water for a couple hours, i use a scotch brite pad on it just to remove whatever the grown on stuff is... each week I do just a little more. I am not looking for shiny, just smooth and clean.
I dont want to remove any aluminum.

Same here. I'm not looking for shiny just clean. Maybe shiny above water line??? I don't want to scare the fish away.
50 Hp Two stroke

cbavier
View Public Profile
Send a private message to cbavier
Visit cbavier's homepage!
Find all posts by cbavier
Add cbavier to Your Contacts

#7 Today, 05:49 AM
2nd chance
Cadet

I just pulled my pontoon out of the water , (there going to drop the water level by 5 ft for a month ) I had the green stuff caked on all over the toons ,
I used ! The works toilet bowl cleaner! 5 bottles on my 20 ft tubes
$1.00 a bottle at dollar tree then power washed sections a little at a time
the tubes came very very clean. do not do it on grass it will kill it .
Found that out the year I bought the boat it had 3 years of build up on toons. the works did a great job of cleaning them up ( had to use about 12 bottles but it worked) I highly recommend it.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We just cleaned ours with Toon Brite. the trick was to spray on and then almost immediately rinse off with lots of water. We had to do it twice to clean the really bad spots but it was NOT labor intensive. It cleans but doesn't shine, you just Spray on, rinse off. Easy.

But I am going to try out the "Eagle" aluminum wheel spray, I like the fact that you can spray on and rinse as I'm NOT a fan of extra work that requires much rubbing and polishing. Hopefully we can get the "mirror finish"