Shine up them toons

Kitchen363

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Start a new boat project today:redface:

I'm cleaning up my toons, and removing the waters line off the boat. The last owner kept it in the water all summer, for 3 seasons.

I started wet sanding it with some 1200 grit and 1500 grit to remove the oxidation. Then hit it with some aluminum wheel polish :D WOW! It looks almost like chrome.

Here's the Question of the day. What else has anybody used to remove the oxidation on the toon? Sand paper works pretty good but way labor intensive and dirty.

The brother-in-law who is in the printing industry claims he can get me some stuff they use the clean and aluminum printing dies. It should remove every thing but the aluminum? I'd like to try it out. Anybody ever used this stuff?? (I'll post some test results and product name when I find it out)

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shine up them toons

Do a search on shark hide. There are some links with pics in this forum.

I'd go with that stuff your BIL has that won't remove the aluminum. It's probably fast, but I'd carefully read the label. :eek: You never know about industrial chemicals.

Eric, you made a very good point about sealing the aluminum after its cleaned in that other thread. I'm not into a lot of work so I can shave in my own reflection, I just clean mine using cheap tire shine as per my Tracker technicians. They have been steering me away from the expensive stuff (they sell) to cheaper alternatives.

For ME, the boat is about relaxing :cool:. I already have enough projects to keep me busy.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Sweetwater manual recommends that you leave the oxidation on.

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What model sweetwater do you have? I would think if you wasnt going to sharkhide it you would leave the oxidation on, because it will just keep oxidizing. The sharkhide would prevent this and keep them looking brand new. I just bought a sweetwater and i have no documentation with it. I guess i should contact the manufacturer and get me some.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

That's a very good point. I'm pretty sure if we kept removing the oxidation, we'd eventually get the aluminum to be very thin. If aluminum is like zinc, the oxidation layer actually creates a barrier (unlike like iron oxide, e.g. rust, which will continue to penetrate the iron).

I think I'll stick with green pads to remove the lake scum, anything more would be just too much work.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shiney toons booger fish.. A no no...

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been hearing a lot of good things about JJV's best polish. I currently received mine in the mail but I'm not planning on using it till next spring seeing as my pontoon is a long project boat. Let me know if anyone's had success with the product.

rutcutter

Seaman

I use ToonBrite. You just spray it on and rinse it off. Then I wipe on Future floor wax, the clear one. Looks good for a long time.

Kitchen363

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use ToonBrite. You just spray it on and rinse it off. Then I wipe on Future floor wax, the clear one. Looks good for a long time.

Floor wax?? What brand you using???

Dose it just protect from the oxidation or shin them up a little too??

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

After I take the boat out of the water on Sunday I'm going to use something different. Today while I was cleaning my custom car for the car show tomorrow i used my old fathfull wheel spray to clean my Alumn. Wheels You spray it on aznd two minutes later you hose them off and the wheel shine like new. So, Why not use it on a Pontoon boat. It's made by Eagle, cost around $5.00 For 16 ozs. I'll post late Sunday on how I made out.. You can get it at Auto Zone or Pep Boy's .

Kitchen363

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After I take the boat out of the water on Sunday I'm going to use something different. Today while I was cleaning my custom car for the car show tomorrow i used my old fathfull wheel spray to clean my Alumn. Wheels You spray it on aznd two minutes later you hose them off and the wheel shine like new. So, Why not use it on a Pontoon boat. It's made by Eagle, cost around $5.00 For 16 ozs. I'll post late Sunday on how I made out.. You can get it at Auto Zone or Pep Boy's .

:D:D:D Hope it works!!

I'm still waiting on the brother in law who is in the printing trade to get me some of that stuff they use to clean the printing dies.:(

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im heading to bass pro tomorrow and im hoping to pick up some of that toon-brite and try it out..

Pontoonfoon

Seaman

When i first got mine It had the water lines BAD.

I bought some cleaner from academy for aluminum, its an acid and you have to be very careful in mixing it and then using it. You wipe it on, in perhaps 4 foot sections, and immediately wash it off.. ALL OF IT. It doesnt shine the toons or anything, but it does remove the buildup.

after that i tried to polish them with aluminum polish.. never again.. poor results, and a total nightmare.. still looking around for the "magic bullet" for this before i try it again.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

When i first got mine It had the water lines BAD.

I bought some cleaner from academy for aluminum, its an acid and you have to be very careful in mixing it and then using it. You wipe it on, in perhaps 4 foot sections, and immediately wash it off.. ALL OF IT. It doesnt shine the toons or anything, but it does remove the buildup.

after that i tried to polish them with aluminum polish.. never again.. poor results, and a total nightmare.. still looking around for the "magic bullet" for this before i try it again.

You'll get the same results getting a gal of coil cleaner (NON ACID) from a air conditioner supply house - About $15 per gal & will clean a couple toons about 3 times :cool:
NO SHINE but clean :)

Silver Eagle

Last month I sprayed on some coil cleaner I wasn't that impressed. The dealer said it was equal to Simple green. Today I bought 6 spray bottles of Turttlewax alumn and chrome wheel cleaner. They were on sale for 3 for $10 Bottles. So I got 6 bottles. I'll try them next Friday and I'll take some pictures of before and after. This works great on my car wheels.

Kitchen363

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Last month I sprayed on some coil cleaner I wasn't that impressed. The dealer said it was equal to Simple green. Today I bought 6 spray bottles of Turttlewax alumn and chrome wheel cleaner. They were on sale for 3 for $10 Bottles. So I got 6 bottles. I'll try them next Friday and I'll take some pictures of before and after. This works great on my car wheels.

Keep us posted:D:D

The one spot that I shined up with the Mag and Aluminum wheel polish looked awesome in the water!!!:p

sb2665

Cadet

HVAC Supply store for a gallon of Cal-Brite (about $22.00). Mix 3 parts water to 1. Spray with plastic garden sprayer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse it off. It is a acid solution so remember to pour acid into water. Wear gloves and skin protection. This is the same product that HVAC men use to clean AC coils and condensers. It foams away the dirt, grease, oils and oxidation. Amazing stuff. It is biodegradable also.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

HVAC Supply store for a gallon of Cal-Brite (about $22.00). Mix 3 parts water to 1. Spray with plastic garden sprayer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse it off. It is a acid solution so remember to pour acid into water. Wear gloves and skin protection. This is the same product that HVAC men use to clean AC coils and condensers. It foams away the dirt, grease, oils and oxidation. Amazing stuff. It is biodegradable also.

Make sure to get the PINK cleaner as it is the BEST to use on those toons. Mixed as discribed above & it WORKS. Make sure to follow the directions & wear eye, hand & face protection.

Silver Eagle

I bought two gallons of the Pink stuff last month. I wasn't impressed.