24' Pontoon-75HP Mercury or 90 HP Suzuki?

BC71

Recruit
I am looking to purchase a 2009 24' Tahoe Pontoon with 25" toons.

My current motor options are 2005 75 HP Mercury or a 2000 90 HP Suzuki--both engines are 4 stroke.

The reason for such large engine is because we want to pull the occasional tuber or knee boarder.

Looking for any advice on those engine choices...

THANKS!!

sfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 24' Pontoon-75HP Mercury or 90 HP Suzuki?

go with the most power you can afford. its better to have a larger engine running at lower RPM's than to have a smaller engine running at or near WOT consistently. and as for pulling people, bigger is better. if your boat can handle a 115, or larger, go for that.

you never hear anyone complain about having to much power, but you will hear lots of people say "i wish i had more power"

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We need to put a sticky at the top...All motor questions for pontoons will be answered with one of the following:

1. The bigger one
2. The biggest one your boat is rated for
3. The biggest one you can afford

rogerwa

Commander

Go for the 90. I think the statement about "no replacment for displacement" applies here.

I have a 25' that I bought with a 40hp. it moved it along OK but I popped a 90Hp on there and it was so much more pleasant to be able to cruise at a nice speed with out the motorwinding out at WOT. I now have a comfortable cruise at 3000-3500 RPM.

You will not see a proportional speed increase, but the benefits will definitely be noticeable.

Jeep Man

Commander

I assume both motors are long shaft. Regular short shaft motors will not work on a pontoon. Also bigger props, bigger gears help push a toon better.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of course I would say go for more power, but take into consideration the fact that botha re used, so how many hours, how well maintained, etc....

You don't want to be replacing a motor!!

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go with the most power you can afford. its better to have a larger engine running at lower RPM's than to have a smaller engine running at or near WOT consistently. and as for pulling people, bigger is better. if your boat can handle a 115, or larger, go for that.

you never hear anyone complain about having to much power, but you will hear lots of people say "i wish i had more power"

Only because they're 4-strokes. 2 stroke outboards are designed to run 3/4-WOT, running lower RPMS especially if towing someone damages the engine.

pushnwood

Cadet

I had a 24 ft. JC with a 115 on it and it was way underpowered! Go with as much HP as you can aford.