transducer mounting on transom (pontoon)

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I mount my transducer off of the transom? Is it deep enough?

my toons have twin electric drives one on each side so they are taking the place that a normal mount would go.

I also like the thought of the signal being centered.

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transducer mounting on transom (pontoon)

This suggestion is a little off from your question but I have a pontoon project boat going at this moment but I was considering mounting it off the front some how.

Good post as I believe there are issuse when it comes to mounting to aluminum or that is what I have come to believe.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is no issue mounting to aluminum. The vast majority of fishing boats in the great state of Minnesota are aluminum and the vast majority of those have not one but two locators. My pontoon likewise has two -- one forward, one aft. What is of greater concern is where it is mounted. You cannot mount it in turbulent water. Air bubbles disturb the echo. Most pontoons these days have a "U" shaped bracket on the back of each tube. One side can hold a livewell pump and the transducer mounts on the other side. On an electric drive you will not likely be traveling at any great speed so the water passing between the tubes will not be overly disturbed so I would think mounting it on the transom would work ok. We can't see you pontoon but if the transducer is in the water it should be fine.

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will have a 90hp to put on the boat. Im rebuilding the lower unit over the winter. electric drives will be for trolling.

I was thinking of mounting under the transom (log/ wedge) about 6'' before the transom board.

Attachments

• new toon2.jpg
    new toon2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I have one of those side fish finders so here's my set up ( the "bilge" pump is my live well pump ) There are side panels on the starboard side tube which the unit mounts to.

DCP_4372.jpg

DCP_4373.jpg

DCP_4207.jpg

In the above picture, the post coming down holds the port sending unit.

Jeff

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you intend to install an outboard, then you can't mount the transducer there as there is far too much turbulence. It needs to be on the back end of one of the tubes or mounted using some sort of bracket and pole off the deck. Any welding shop in town should be able to weld on a transducer bracket and it wouldn't (or shouldn't) cost an arm & a leg.

BuckVegas

Cadet

Jeff-in-Pa, It looks like you have a smaller Merc mounted off to the side of the 115. Is that a kicker motor? I'm really interested in the setup you have for the kicker.
What size is it?
How big is your boat?
How well does the kicker push the boat?
How do you steer the kicker if your steering is hooked up to the big motor?
How much would one expect to pay for a kicker motor like that and how costly is it to modify the log so it will mount?

I have a 32 foot party cruiser with a 200 hp Suzuki on the back.
Anything you can tell me is of value
Thanks
Don

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Jeff-in-Pa, It looks like you have a smaller Merc mounted off to the side of the 115. Is that a kicker motor? I'm really interested in the setup you have for the kicker.
What size is it?
How big is your boat?
How well does the kicker push the boat?
How do you steer the kicker if your steering is hooked up to the big motor?
How much would one expect to pay for a kicker motor like that and how costly is it to modify the log so it will mount?

I have a 32 foot party cruiser with a 200 hp Suzuki on the back.
Anything you can tell me is of value
Thanks
Don

Hi Don,
Yes that is a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker. We purchased the boat from the original owner in September of '08. The only thing we added was the 55# Minn Kota electric trolling motor on the front and replaced the bilge pump for the live wells.

'24 Starcraft Starfish ( fishing model )

No problem trolling the boat, even with all canvas up and into the wind.

For the steering set up, click on this picture link ( it's HUGE )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/vacation/Oct 2008/DCP_4065.jpg
( description of how it works)
Looking at the back of each motor, see the mounting bracket just above waterline? There is a quick connect ( similar to an air connector for air tools ) which connects the two engines. Steering is done with the main motor at the console. Unfortunately, the original owner saved some money and did NOT purchase the remote control engine package so starting, gear selector and speed are all controlled at the kicker motor itself. To purchase the kit from Mercury would be $1200 ( controls, new carb etc). So it's much better to purchase it as you want it brand new.

The kicker motor bracket is spring loaded and works very well. The only drawback/concern you may have is that I lay down on the back to move the motor up & down. No big deal for me ( I'm 49 ) but wanted to let you know.

As far as costs, I have no clue as we purchased the boat already set up.

I'll look for more pictures to see if I have any that are clearer.

Jeff

BuckVegas

Cadet

Thanks for all the input Jeff :) Looks like a great setup. You indicated that the steering is done with the main motor at the driver's console. I'm new at this, so trying to understand how that works. You run the kicker but steer with the main motor? Does that mean that turning the main motor gives enough rudder to turn the boat even though the motor is not running?

Don

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the input Jeff :) Looks like a great setup. You indicated that the steering is done with the main motor at the driver's console. I'm new at this, so trying to understand how that works. You run the kicker but steer with the main motor? Does that mean that turning the main motor gives enough rudder to turn the boat even though the motor is not running?

Don

The kicker and the main motor are connected by a rod. So you steer the main motor which also turns the kicker.