Need old pontoon boat pics... ! Old PICS added

Status
Not open for further replies.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there anyone out there that has some pics of old steel pontoon boats ??

I have a set of old steel toons and the frame work but no deck or anything. Just looking for some pics to use as reference.

THanks

Last edited:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need old pontoon boat pics... !

I don't have any pictures, but I would guess that from the frame up, there should be no difference between aluminum and steel pontoon boats unless you are trying to go original. In that case, you have your work cut out for you.

Good luck.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

No im not going original. There just is a lever on it and it had pully style steering. Also there was a post on it for a ss minnow style steering wheel. Id like to know ruffly where it goes. As i have no clue what they used to look like.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No im not going original. There just is a lever on it and it had pully style steering. Also there was a post on it for a ss minnow style steering wheel. Id like to know ruffly where it goes. As i have no clue what they used to look like.

WOW, that is (or was) an old boat. Sorry that I can't help with your question, but a couple of other questions came to mind.

Why not just start new from the frame up?

Why not sell those toons for scrap any buy what you want?

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

scrap isnt going for much here in northern wisconsin. ( Dead cars go for 30 bucks)

I will start new i just dont want the boat to be unstable because i put the console in the wrong spot.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now that I have a better understanding of your project, my recommendation is to search the internet for a floor plan that you like with the same length pontoons as yours.

Then try to duplicate that floor plan as best you can. The helm position does not have to be exact.

As you are building your dream remember that steel weighs much more than aluminum so build accordingly.

I have never built a pontoon from the frame up, but I have made major modifications to three different ones including my newest 2009.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Here is the frame im talking about. Its been on the ground for about 3 yrs. I havent fliped it over yet to see the underside of the toons. But i dont think there all that bad. Hopefully just some surface rust....

Length is 15' 6"
Width is 8'
Hight is 2' ~

Steering colum

DSCN1885-1.jpg

side pic

DSCN1880.jpg

Toons come to a point

DSCN1882.jpg

patch job

DSCN1886-1.jpg

Motor Lift

DSCN1881.jpg

OK now a good question do all pontoons have a roller system under them like this ?? And how would you build a trailer for it ??

Rollers

DSCN1883.jpg

Last edited:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need old pontoon boat pics... ! Old PICS added

No they don't have those rollers. If fact, I've never seen that setup. Must really be old.

Before I built a trailer, I would get some measurements and look around for a used one. Pontoon trailers can be adjusted to accomodate a wide range of boats.

I hate to discourage your project, but if it was me, I would look around for a good used pontoon boat. You can probably pick up a running 16 to 18 footer with trailer for 3 or 4 grand. You'll have more than that invested in this boat, motor and trailer. Plus, you'll have a lighter boat.

If you are intent on building one, then look around for a trashed one with good aluminum pontoons.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea its old.... I dont have money for a set of toons or even an old boat. I have this and i figured its steel. So what ever holes there might be i can weld or patch to make it float !

I have time and patience. This would have a 40 long on the back
( already have it ) Our lake is only 180 acers. And to dock our current boat is a pain i have to run the tilt all the way up to trailer mode so i can slip in....
:(

SO i figured if i can get this setup to work my wife and our freinds could set up in the middle of the lake and use the toon as a swim platform/landing pad.
I could pull up and chat/ Switch riders without fighting with the shore.

PLus every one loves pontoon boats. And the dogs ( 2 labs) could go swimin to off the boat.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK. That sounds like a plan and a good project.

Please post pictures here of your progress.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen old Harris-Kayott's and Aqua Patio's with that transom adjuster. There are a few of them on the water at Prince Gallitzin State park here in central PA. That's a low HP (18hp I believe) lake an hour or so from where I live. If I get in that neighborhood I'll swing through and take a couple of pictures.

My friend had one years ago and it was on a Hoosier drop down trailer. Those rollers helped it roll up the trailer when you put it back on.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be awsome if you would !!

rogerwa

Commander

My friend has one that i think is just like that one.. Just in Blue. I would not worry about stabiity, with the heavy steel pontoons, it sits pretty stable in the water.

Theirs has steel decking on it and the fencing looks kind of like light duty chain link with a tight weave painted white.

They have a remote control Merc 9.8 on it and it moves it pretty good. The 40 might be overkill. A longshaft 25 woudl be sugfficient as this will not handle speed well.

What part of northern Wi. My friends have theirs at their cabin just north of Webster..

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Around rhinelander. The 40 is all i have in long shaft.... Well just keep it on the low end.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen something similar to that here on the Homosassa River in FL, they use it to harvest the weeds in the summer, the rollers are for a home made trailer that has the lifting supports on the deck instead of the toons, I forget the name of that trailer ( maybe center lift trailer ?? ) but it raises and lowers like scissors lift, I guess the rollers help guide the boat on the trailer, as its just 2 x 6 bunks flat side up.

the boat I saw had the same type helm setup.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have just completed a total rebuild of a 1989 Bass Tracker Pontoon....If I had it to do over I would have went out and bought a nice used toon. After a purchase (sight unseen) from a family member who stated " $500.00 bucks and she will be like new" .....I had to strip it down to the tubes and start all over..Everything on it was rotted out, rusted, broke, bent, inoperative, etc etc....New Deck, carpet,furniture, wireing, lights for the boat and trailer, new tires and wheels...If it goes on a boat and trailer I have replaced it...also the $500 has turned into a little over $4000.00...TRUE, its less that a new one, but when I consider all the time I have invested.......My suggestion is to let those old steel tubes sit out there forever and check CL or EBAY for a nice older toon and go enjoy..........Just my personal opinion and my wife gave me permission to offer it!

KEEP IT FUN...KEEP IT SAFE!

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That looks like a Riviera Cruiser. I had a 26 footer nearly identical to that (in about the same condition too) had the same helm and the same adjustable transom. I was gonna build a duck blind on it but I ended up giving it away. I would not discourage you from doing something with that one but I sure wouldn't dump much money into it. If your just wanting to slap some plywood and astro turf on it, use an old motor and some patio furniture and go fishing, then it's probably worth your time and won't cost much. If you're wanting to restore it or make it "like new" then it is gonna cost a lot of money and you would be a lot better off looking for something newer that's been neglected.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

I'd just get PT wood for the deck, remove the steering and use lawn chairs.

Also, how do you know if the bottoms of the toons aren't rusted through? I'd drag it out and look it over very closely first.

Zoo Will

Cadet

I have seen Toons like that on a i want to say 1954 Not real sure But I have bought 5 diffrent used boats repaired 4 of them and sold them It is not a cheap hobby But if you have the time and really a lot of time you can just about fix any boat or motor

Pontoonist

Cadet
"Hello". Hey! You still have the red steel pontoon boat? I wish I had seen your post back in 2009. I would have chimed in. I found and bought one just like this back in '86' and rebuilt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.