whats the correct way to use a crank up trailer

dbblackburn

Cadet
i have a 86 hoosier crank up or scissor type trailer 2 axel whats the proper way to use this type how high can you travel with it? any other safe operating tips would be grately appreiciated.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: whats the correct way to use a crank up trailer

I have only used one once, about a month ago' and was given a short lessen before travelling about 45 minutes on highway and bi-way. Toon was strapped down, trailer was in the full up position and locked. I was told to corner slowly as it can be tippy and unstable due to the narrow axles. Everything went OK.
As a rule they are not recommended for highway use, although I have seen a few. They are not available with brakes as far as I know. The general rule is to keep your speed in check. If I could find one at a decent price, I'd buy it as I only have to go a short distance to the lake. If highway use is in your plans, a bunk style might be more suitable.

dbblackburn

Cadet

mine is about 26 fy long before the tonge and in great shape i would gladly trade it for a bunk type but i dont think that would happen maybe next year i will sell it and invest in a bunk type. there is no lock that i see but a safty cable but it is too long and lets the boat ride too low in danger of scraping the tubes in the back might have to adj the cable to let it goe up more

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 86 hoosier crank up or scissor type trailer 2 axel whats the proper way to use this type how high can you travel with it? any other safe operating tips would be grately appreiciated.

It HAS to be all the way up, there some sort of locking mechanism that will lock in in the full up position. Take it SLOW around corners I've was with someone than put on its side. LUCKILY we were going slow and it didn't damage the tube too bad, a ratchet strap had failed to latch properly and the rear of the toon had slid over throwing it off balance enough to tip. I've also seen 2 others on there sides before also.

Jeep Man

Commander

mine is about 26 fy long before the tonge and in great shape i would gladly trade it for a bunk type but i dont think that would happen maybe next year i will sell it and invest in a bunk type. there is no lock that i see but a safty cable but it is too long and lets the boat ride too low in danger of scraping the tubes in the back might have to adj the cable to let it goe up more

Where are you located?

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cable with the 'S' hook on it hooks onto the trailer up by the crank. When the trailer is all the way up the cable will be loose when hooked onto its spot but as you lower the trailer the cable will tighten up. When both the crank cable and the safety cable are tight you are ready for the road. The trailer won't lower all the way with the lower cable hooked on. You have to crank the trailer up to loosen the lower cable and unhook it then it will lower all the way down as long as the lower cable isn't hooked onto anything. Hope this helps.

dbblackburn

Cadet

The cable with the 'S' hook on it hooks onto the trailer up by the crank. When the trailer is all the way up the cable will be loose when hooked onto its spot but as you lower the trailer the cable will tighten up. When both the crank cable and the safety cable are tight you are ready for the road. The trailer won't lower all the way with the lower cable hooked on. You have to crank the trailer up to loosen the lower cable and unhook it then it will lower all the way down as long as the lower cable isn't hooked onto anything. Hope this helps.

that is what i thought but it seems to leave the tubes awfull close to the ground,how far should they be off the ground?could i adjust that s hook cable to keep it a lil bit higher?some where in between tipping over or dragging a tube when makeing aturn onto a road that goes up or down hill?

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like mine sat about a foot and half off the ground when in the travel position. They sit like that because they are so narrow. If you raise the trailer up higher it will make the boat even more tippy when cornering. As long as the S hook is in it's spot up by the crank and both cables are tight your good to go. I wouldn't raise it anymore for travel. The scissor ones are nice if you need to set your toon down in the yard or on blocks but I like the bunk one I just bought more for hauling.