Pontoon helm

Bennettc

Seaman
Is there anything that would make a great helm for a pontoon boat? I might want to replace mine at some point and don't really want to pay for one. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Clayton

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon helm

Great things for free are pretty rare, I suppose if you are really handy you could make something but it would have to be pretty sturdy.

I would poke around at a boat salvage yard and maybe try to get something cheap but to be free you would have to build it yourself so it depends on your skills in that area.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

plywood box. center or side console? i am considering building a new one. i have center donsole. big bulky, no storage. i'm thinking of a live well in the bottom of it, with a door on the front to access well. you do not need a lot of room to get steering and electrical thru the deck. i like a minimalist boat.

Jeep Man

Commander

Maybe the local preacher will give up his pulpit for the cause. He's a minimalist as well. LOL

USM89

Cadet

My console looks like a refugee from a salvage yard, the box is in pretty good shape but the dash is shot. I was considering getting a piece of oak plywood staining and varnishing to make a new dash. Besides I hate the dash layout. Is there anything better available?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1/4 inch Black Lexan works great. i am in the process of redoing mine.