papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too much air in tube YIKES!!!

just git the DUCK TAPE start wrapping

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I test tubes with a small portable reg.

I ALWAYS turn this reg totally OFF and test it to ensure there is absolutely NO FLOW, only then do it connect it to a tube and turn it on just a 1/4 turn which is about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.

It takes a few minutes to pressurize single chamber tubes but so far I've never had any problems, and hopefully I never will.

sherm1

Cadet

Same thing happened to my tube on one side and now I am looking for a new 21 ft. replacement pontoon log. Anyone know where to find one? No luck so far online.

tbirder

Cadet

Same thing happened to my tube on one side and now I am looking for a new 21 ft. replacement pontoon log. Anyone know where to find one? No luck so far online.

Hey there sherm1,
Do you need a 20' or a 21'? Ihave some 20' tubes in stock if that helps.
Clint

sherm1

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for a 21' tube mine is off a 21 tracker marine pontoon, 2002 fish model 21 long and 24" diameter. HOpe that helps anyone has one reasonably priced please contact me. 229 292 3344 sherm

tbirder

Cadet

Hey there sherm1,
Normally an inch or two isn't much to be concerned over, but a foot's quite a bit.
Mine are 20' x 25" U shaped logs. Sorry I couldn't help,
Clint

BuckVegas

Cadet

Hello Gents, Sorry for "barging" in ;) I'm a novice learning about all this stuff. Just recently bought a Tracker Party Cruiser (used). It's in good shape but has a few small dents in the logs. Right side log has a fairly large dent about a foot or more across. I bought it that way. The owner said a friend swung wide at a gas station and hit the steel guard. It broke the skin a little in one spot, but he pasted some sort of liquid mending metal paste over it and said it doesn't leak. I take him at his word, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to repair properly and how the repair would be accomplished, ball park price, etc.

Second question:
I have had it out twice and on the maiden voyage it was really windy when I recovered it. Took 3 attempts to line it up with the trailer. On the first attempt I was off just a bit and the nose of one log hit the upright on the center of the trailer stopping me abruptly. Later on I found that the impact had put a slight curl in first 4 inches of the nose. Is it possible to just heat that up with a propane torch and pound it straight or is that likely to crack the aluminum?

How does a "do-it-yourselfer" go about determining if there is any water in the logs?

If one wants to fiddle away some time, what is the best method to polish your logs and aluminum trim?

Thanks for any advice.

Don

Jeep Man

Commander

Welcome to the forum Buck. Camping onto someone elses thread, especially a STICKY, will not get good results from your question. Re-post by clicking on the top where it says "Create new post", Give it a heading such as "Repairing dented pontoons" and state your problem. I'm sure you will get plenty of replies. Good luck and again, Welcome.

Nismospeed

Seaman Apprentice

wow, its almost 3am and i am sitting here reading this entire sticky. I just wanted to throw my contribution in, if anyone wants it. I had a 82 Riviera 18' toon that had tire valve's attached at the rear. I checked the pressure before we went out for the first time, and each had 35lbs of pressure. I noted that it sat a little low in the water, so I kicked it up to about 42lbs (i know, "rookie, that doesnt work"). Nothing changed, so, I left it alone and thats how we stayed. By now, you are all thinking, this guy is full of ****. Rightfully so, seeing the OP thumbnail and story behind it. BUT...my toons were steel, not aluminum. Those toons could scrape the bottom and never see a dent. very sturdy at the extreme cost of being very heavy. anyway, not sure if Riviera installed the valves or not, but they were essentially one pipe on each side, about 5" tall, welded into the tube. They had threaded caps with perfectly centered holes for the valve stems. Sooo, not sure if it was the previous owner, the factory, or maybe even the original purchaser in '82 or '83, but knowing that i increased pressure to the low 40s and had no issues after reading this really got me thinking....

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I was in a new boat shop the other day and it had a few pontoon boats that had Schrader type valves on the logs. Next to the valve was a sticker that said "3.5 PSI Max."

I guess the idea is to keep water out, since adding air won't change the ride at all... At least based on the the idea that it's all about water displacement, and increasing pressure should not be changing the volume of the logs... If anything the ride would actually get worse, since you are adding weight, in the form of denser air, to the boat. At least that's how I figure it.

Interesting thread though.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I owned two certified plants to build large high pressure tower vessels for refineries.
Who ever told you to put air in an Aluminum pontoon must have not been your friend or must have been one of your benificeries.

Air inside a tank is a gernade. I did a job one time where we had to test a 3" thick steel vessel to 2000 psi with only air. We had to do it remotely. We always filled with water and then applied the air. Your a lucky man the welds did not hold to a higher pressure.

Stephan Flaming

Recruit

Thank to the god that there is no harm to any one.Use the regulator in correct way and measurement.

obama549

Recruit

Hey there sherm1,
Do you need a 20' or a 21'? Ihave some 20' tubes in stock if that helps.
Clint

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for a 21' tube mine is off a 21 tracker marine pontoon, 2002 fish model 21 long and 24" diameter. HOpe that helps anyone has one reasonably priced please contact me. 229 292 3344 sherm

njm_T160

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! Thanks for sharing.... Kinda scary.

Junkshow

Cadet

Wondering if this can happen while transporting a pontoon into higher elevation?
Will be taking a boat from see level up to 7k
Thanks

mulemarina

Recruit

To the original poster - I think you just found a new way to make aluminum canoes ...

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman

Thank goodness you're still alive!

Just had someone in here a couple of weeks ago trying to buy a replacement pontoon for someone's boat. Similarly, they blew up a pontoon by trying to put pressurized air into it. I wouldn't recommend using pressurized air to look for leaks (or to attempt to remove dents).

Last edited:

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman

wow, its almost 3am and i am sitting here reading this entire sticky. I just wanted to throw my contribution in, if anyone wants it. I had a 82 Riviera 18' toon that had tire valve's attached at the rear. I checked the pressure before we went out for the first time, and each had 35lbs of pressure. I noted that it sat a little low in the water, so I kicked it up to about 42lbs (i know, "rookie, that doesnt work"). Nothing changed, so, I left it alone and thats how we stayed. By now, you are all thinking, this guy is full of ****. Rightfully so, seeing the OP thumbnail and story behind it. BUT...my toons were steel, not aluminum. Those toons could scrape the bottom and never see a dent. very sturdy at the extreme cost of being very heavy. anyway, not sure if Riviera installed the valves or not, but they were essentially one pipe on each side, about 5" tall, welded into the tube. They had threaded caps with perfectly centered holes for the valve stems. Sooo, not sure if it was the previous owner, the factory, or maybe even the original purchaser in '82 or '83, but knowing that i increased pressure to the low 40s and had no issues after reading this really got me thinking....
If you added hot air to a hot air balloon it would rise but only because the bottom of the balloon is open. When you add hot air you're displacing cold air.

This isn't so with a closed system like a tank (or a pontoon). The lightest tank is a tank with a vacuum, not one that's densely filled with some kind of gas. The higher the pressure, the more gas that's inside. The more gas that's inside the heavier it is.

This should make sense if you've ever purchased propane. The guy who works there takes your empty tank, marks how much it weighs (for example 35 lbs.) and then adds more gas until the whole thing is now 65 lbs (in my example). So then the guy charges me for 30 lbs. of propane. It's a simple enough story but it should demonstrate that you're making your pontoon heavier by increasing the air pressure above "one atmosphere" of pressure.

Last edited:

Junkshow, I don't know what 7k feet does to a pontoon, but it can sure play tricks on your outboard engine. Mine would barely run up in the Sierra's. I learned a lesson about fuel and air mix at altitude after it had run fine at sea level.

Status
Not open for further replies.